Help with Icom SM6 mic wiring

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
KG8AU

Help with Icom SM6 mic wiring

Post by KG8AU »

I picked up an Icom SM-6 mic that needs wiring. There is a three wire cord
(similar to a mini headphone cord) attached and no plug. Seems odd to me, is this the normal cord? The cord consists of a shield, black and red wire. If this is correct how do I wire the 8 pin plug needed for my IC-718. It shows in the diagram
for the mic using four wires shield, audio, PTT,and ground. Any help would be appreciated. A picture of the bottom of the mic showing the PCB and wiring would
be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Lyle
KG8AU
W0LPQ

SM-6

Post by W0LPQ »

Apparently you have never visited the Icom Japan Web Site.

Info at:

http://www.icom.co.jp/manual/external/t ... s/SM-6.pdf

Bill, W0LPQ
KG8AU

RE: sm-6

Post by KG8AU »

Actually I have and down loaded the PDF. The cord I have has only three wires
not four as shown in the diagram. The cord looks like it was factory installed
and I am tring to find out if the shield is used for the audio and PTT circuit.
I am not familiar with Icom mics. I do know that the voltage to run the electret
element is run on the audio wire.
W0LPQ

SM-6

Post by W0LPQ »

I personally do not like the idea of the 3 wires, but if it appears to be factory done, then so be it. Are you certain there are just 3 wires and not another that was snipped off so far back you cannot see it? Are both wires inside the shield? The cable sounds like an older cable from ... maybe off of another radio?

I would bet someone with a great deal of technical ability changed cords at some point ... especially if it looks factory installed. The Icom cables are one shielded and 2 other wires for the PTT. Icom isolates it for a reason.

Bill, W0LPQ