HELP! For programing a Icom 24AT

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
Bear

HELP! For programing a Icom 24AT

Post by Bear »

Hello all,
I purchased a Icom 24AT HT 2 meter/70cm radio a few days ago. Problem is I cannot program it. I have a copy of the Manual and might as well to me at least be in Chinese ! I got a Pocket guide but also is no help and even contacted Icom and was referred to the manual on line and had a Tech send some instructions for entering in Frequencies and programing them in. Again not working and too vague on process, has to be steps missing.
Is there anyone who can help supply me with straight forward help. IE- Turn on, push button a, and then button b and so on not see page 29 which refers you to page 33 which returns you to page 1 ?? I am desperate and about ready to put it back on the market and sell it. I have never claimed to be a Genius and far from it but consider myself of average intelligence and this has me reconsidering everything ?? I have a brother in law who has been a ham for over 65 years and was actually in the space program for years ( Rocket Scientist ?) and he cannot figure it out either ?
Any help would and I would be forever in your debt.
Thanks from all in advance
Jim
N4ADW
Vmo

Re: HELP! For programing a Icom 24AT

Post by Vmo »

Did you figure it out? I have one of the other radios from that line up and can probably walk you through it, otherwise I was talking to another ham over packet who has had about every radio ever made, and I'm sure he can help.
Bear

Post by Bear »

Thanks for the response and no I have not figured it out. I have been busy remodeling my shack for several weeks now after relocating back to East Tennessee. I was in Florida for six years in a over 55 community. It was decided after we bought into the community that after I put up a small wire antenna behind our home and discovered by a nosy neighbor on a golf cart snooping around a home fore sale next door that no antennas for ham radio use would be allowed ! I ended up packing up my gear and not being able to use it. I sold and moved back to Tennessee last winter and just now getting everything going. I bought this older 2 meter HT from a QTH seller last month for use while sitting out in the evenings on a new deck we just had built.
I have the manual and it is not the best on instruction to program the radio. I found online a small "Pocket guide" it too is the same as the manual and not very informative. Add the fact that I am getting older and it is not a good combination. The manuals are something like turn on radio and push button A, then push button B, then enter frequency. Then push button 2 see page 24, next enter memory channel, next push number 5 and refer to page 19? It goes on for so many steps that you are lost finding what you started out trying ! Then after following all the settings and steps and it still does not do a thing. I am lost on it ! Any help would be most gratefully accepted. I have just set it aside while working on the room, but now at a point of seeing light at the end of the tunnel on my gear getting set up and antennas installed so would like to get the HT operating. Let me know how you want to proceed with helping me.
Thanks
Jim
N4ADW
Vmo

Post by Vmo »

Hi Jim,
Ideally I could get on Hf with you and sort it out, but if you don’t have that stuff up, I have echo link and the usual internet-based methods.

I’ll send you a pm.
Billy
Ke4vnc
Bear

Post by Bear »

Billy,
Thanks and need help for sure.
Jim