Used Crank-up towers - Permitting Issues or Challenges

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
WB6BVR

Used Crank-up towers - Permitting Issues or Challenges

Post by WB6BVR »

I am looking to purchase a used Crankup Tower, but what like to know if I may run into problems obtaining a building permit to install it. We live in an area that allows for the installation of radio towers. We have recently moved from CA to the, county of Ankeny, IA. If anyone can shed light on this, I would really appreciate it before I purchase something that perhaps cannot be re-used! Anyone with experience willing to share their lessons learned will be helpful.

I expect to be required to obtain a new wet stamp from a civil engineer, which I hope is not difficult. I am currently looking for a self supporting 50'-60' crankup tower.

73's
WB6BVR
k9yli

Re: Used Crank-up towers - Permitting Issues or Challenges

Post by k9yli »

If Iowa has townships, then check their rules . or county rules if no townships like Minn or Wis.
second....is this location on a couple acre lot among other houses or some farm stead with a few acres. If its a farm stead and no one around, just put it up, farmers can install windmills or silos as they please. I have 30 acre farm with the buildings. No rules about towers on farms..