20m Attic Loop Antenna

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
W8FCD

20m Attic Loop Antenna

Post by W8FCD »

I live in an HOA condo and run 150 watts with a horizontal 20m dipole in the attic at a height of about 15 ft. above ground level. I would like to install a rectangular loop for 20m since it reportedly is quieter and has better gain over the dipole. Due to the truss configuration in the attic the antenna would have to be rectangular in shape. The horizontal top and bottom lengths would be prox 28 ft. while each vertical side would be prox 7 ft. making the overall length of wire prox 70.5 ft. It could be installed in either a horizontal position or vertically at a bit of an angle because of the truss. Also, I’ve read that insulated wire should be 4% less in length than non-insulated wire, but since this antenna is indoors and not subjected to the elements, I wonder if insulated vs non-insulated makes any difference in reception or transmission. A 4:1 balun would be used. I would appreciate anyone’s thoughts on my proposed build. W8FCD, Steve