Bad Audio

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
wb2iol

Bad Audio

Post by wb2iol »

The worst audio on the air is unquestionably coming from new rigs. Unfortunately, there're a lot of ops who spent a ton of cash on fancy rigs only to sound like crap because they don't adjust equalization properly.

TOO
MUCH
LOW
FREQUENCY!!!

Too often, there's an annoying artifact when you try to get "broadcast quality" audio from a single sideband signal.

I've heard some really nice ones--well done!

But there are SO SO SO many horrible sounding signals.

73 and have a nice day!

KE0EP
ku3x

Re: Bad Audio

Post by ku3x »

More than likely it's because most of those people are just too lazy to read the manual.

I've seen in our local club's station where a ham will try to answer another ham and the other ham did not hear them. Next the ham reaches for the mic gain and cranks it up way out of the ALC range. They have no clue as to what they are doing.

Numerous time I put the club's radio on the air and check the settings. ALC is on full and so is the carrier level.

Pass you test, get your ticket and never open a book again ! It's so sad but so true.

Barry, KU3X
wb2iol

Post by wb2iol »

Giving operators the ability to improperly EQ their audio was a design flaw on ICOM's behalf.
ku3x

Post by ku3x »

I don't see it as a design flaw. The flaw is with the operator. RTFM !

My FT991A has an excellent audio equalizer. I set it up for DX exactly how it is spelled out in the, "MANUAL!" I have gotten so many unsolicited great audio reports with that radio.

The big problem is, a person memorizes the answers to the ham tests, gets their ticket and never opens a book or manual again. How can you expect these people to have good audio when they don't have a clue as to what they are doing?

I have already had an extra class ham ask me how to use an SWR meter? Really ! The SWR meter had a switch (F/R), a knob and a meter.

And people wander why there's so much bad audio on the air? "ALL KNOBS FULL RIGHT, FULL SPEED AHEAD !"

Barry, KU3X
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

Good thing you didn't post this on e*am..so many trolls (could mention about 4-5)....valid question and I think the issue is "plug and play"...then read (the manual)....