IC-7100 vs TS-2000

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
k1spd

IC-7100 vs TS-2000

Post by k1spd »

I currently have an IC-7100 which is very nice. I know that I will not use the DStar capabilities. The main reason that I purchased this was for the 2m ssb. I am a Kenwood person and think that I would rather have the TS-2000. Has anyone owned both of these radios and which one did you like best?
n5wrx

Re: IC-7100 vs TS-2000

Post by n5wrx »

The IC-7100 was designed to be a mobile radio and it is my favorite for that use.
The touch screen makes it so much easier than searching thru menus while driving.
It delivers a honest 100 watts to my mobile antenna.

The TS-2000 is a much larger base size radio and you must run the pre-amp for it to sound like a normal radio.
The best feature about the TS-2000 is its ability to cross band repeat from HF to Uhf/Vhf.
I like the variable filters, and the metering.
Try that with the current crop of Shack-in-a-box radios.

I have both, use them daily, and would not sell either one.
AMVET62

Post by AMVET62 »

I have not owned the 7100. I do own both the TS-2000 and the TS-940S however. Both radios work quite well for most any ham radio task. The Kenwood TS-2000 however has one issue that does give it the stellar quality of most Kenwood radios. That is the receiver is not as good as my other Kenwood radios. It does though transmit just fine and is capable of doing some fine things that many others aren't able to do well. It can interface well with a computer, where others do not. It does have the good Kenwood sound on voice. But it doesn't have the receiving quality of my other Kenwood radios. I'm not exactly sure why either. But I have been told by several people that it is a issue with that model radio. I use mine mainly to do 2 meter and CW. Would I not have another if a good price was in the wind? Not necessarily, because I do like the radio. I don't intend on selling it either. The one negative aspect of this fine radio, is far out weighted by it's other qualities. If I use mine on HF at all, I do it with my Metron MA1000B with 30% to 40% input. It gives me around 550 watts to 600 watts output. More than enough to do what I need it to do. I've gotten QSO's and good signal reports as far away as New Mexico towards the west. And east coast is no problem. All on a half wave end fed 70 feet up, here in southern Indiana. I suppose the radio can do much more than that though. I just use my 940S more. Going price for a TS-2000 is around $800-$900 dollars right now. Good luck in finding one. I have seen them occasionally for sale on EBAY. 73
AMVET62

Post by AMVET62 »

Should read doesn't have the one issue, meaning good receiving quality, sorry for the misprint.