I don't get it.....scratch scratch of the head....

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
w0bkr

I don't get it.....scratch scratch of the head....

Post by w0bkr »

No scam or rip off but what a pain this has been and all for what???

Here is one to try and figure out. Recently, I decided to part with some ancillary gear that I wasn’t using and put it on the swap boards. W1WN contacts me and wants it. No problem. I stated up front that payment via check or money order okay but allow a couple of days for it to clear just to make sure everything is on the up and up.

He sends the money order, and asks if I will be shipping by “Friday” like 2-3 days after we make the deal. Uh, no. I haven’t received any payment yet, it was just mailed for gosh sakes. Then the email tsunami starts.

To keep this short, 30+ emails about how bad he wants this radio because he had one, etc.; I am on short term travel for work and told him I would send it out likely the following Monday ahead of payment clearing, etc. More emails ensue. Wife calls me on travel about all this email traffic clogging up the Inbox and what is going on. I tell her to ship the damn box. This is someone that evidently has a problem with patient and reality.

Wife takes this huge box we packed it in as there wasn’t time to run out and buy a more appropriate box, got it shipped well ahead of his payment clearing. He gets the item on Wed 15 June, and lo and behold. He puts it up for sale as a museum quality piece for about $100 more than I sold it for, the SAME DAY HE RECEIVED IT! Don’t get me wrong. I post stuff for sale at fair market prices to sell it, and not looking for a career or livelihood making money flipping radios.

But to harass us with over 30 plus emails in like 3 days about getting this radio sent to him, and then in short order post it for sale, hardly out of the box, is mind boggling and to say, irritating for what we had to deal with. This is a first.

I just don’t understand the deal with the emails and the pleading to ship this item because it was a set up he had way back, and then in the same day of receipt, put it up for sale. (Mind you, nothing wrong with it either and it is very very nice). I just don’t get all the emails, pleading, pestering, etc. Sounds like a condition. A new experience for sure.
N9LCD

Re: I don't get it.....scratch scratch of the head....

Post by N9LCD »

Some years ago, about seven or eight, I listed two USED, UNTESTED RCA 808 transmitting triodes on one of the websites at about 2130 Central.

About 2145, shut down the station.

Nest day saw an email time stamped 2230 saying something like "I'll take them ..." at the asking price.

Next email, time stamped about 2330, was a profanity-laced tirade complaining that I hadn't promptly answered the jerk's email and accusing me of ignoring his offer, the first one I got, and selling the 808's to somebody else for a higher price.

How hard up could you be for a pair of UNTESTED 808's? They're not great collector's tubes, like the early DeForest's, and I never found any rig that they were used in.

:shock:
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

Well, this guy to me, seems off in the head. Pestering us to send the radio way before his payment got here, telling us about "he had one in his earlier ham days and really wanted to set it up", blah blah blah. Just to get him to leave us alone, after his payment got here, XYL shipped it then and there, without even cashing the MO. Day he was scheduled to get it, he got it and popped it propmptly on the swap boards, mint condition (which it is) but at around $100 more plus or minus....so where is the nostalgia station, etc? I think the guy is off personally, and won't be dealing with him again just for the aggravation. Some really odd ones out there in the midst I do believe, but know what you mean.... :idea:
Dave8787

Post by Dave8787 »

Hi Chris.

Someone told me you posted about our recent transaction. I don't have time to post very often or read what is written. As I told your wife, I am sorry if I upset either of you. That was not my intention. I do think some further clarification is in order, for those few that care.

I sent you the money order and it was received by you on Wednesday. I also sent you the cash register receipt showing its purchase. So, when you received it, it should have been obvious that it was a good item. A trip to your local post office would confirm that when they cashed it for you. Waiting for a check to clear can take 10 business days and I would expect that if I sent a personal check. A postal money order can be immediately cashed.

I did ask that you ship by the following Monday. On Thursday evening, Friday and Saturday, I began receiving unsolicited emails from your mailbox, presumably to multiple persons, that you were away on business for a few days. There were about 8-10 of those. I did reply to some of them and that may have contributed to the emails I sent. I did not send 30 emails as you say.

Regarding the radio. I did have one in my earlier days. However, time had dimmed my memory and I had forgotten that there was no way to adjust RF power out to less than 100 watts, so I could not use it with my amplifiers. I noticed that before it arrived and sold it for slightly less than I paid you. Shipped next day to the purchaser. I always ship promptly and suppose, I expect the same. Not everyone feels that way I suppose.

You neglected to mention that I paid you even more than you asked, "throwing" in a $20 bill to compensate you for extra packing. I am sure you just forgot.

I do not appreciate your comments regarding my state of mind and other personal comments directed at me. I find that strange given your comments regarding being a "Christian" on your qrz.com. No problem, I will turn the other cheek.

Dave, w1wn
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

No one said you were a scammer or anything negative in that regard. Your behavior about wanting the expedited shipping ahead of even receiving the payment is considered by most folks a bit off. It certainly isn't the norm and no one I have encountered thought it was either. The constant emails and barrages about ship ship ship were in fact annoying and unwarranted, especially since I was on travel and you knew that. You kept emailing my email with my out of "office" notification set, but that didn't register either. I am not sure what you expected to accomplish, you could have requested, ship as soon as you can (which I would have anyway), as, Yes, I ship promptly also, I never make someone wait until I feel like completing the transaction. Note, I hadn't even received your payment when you were pushing to ship it by that Friday, the day I actually received your payment.

Normally, Sellers ship AFTER receipt of cleared and verifiable payment. Most procure packing and shipping material at that point in time, in the event someone backs out or changes their mind, and, yes, the extra $ was a nice touch but it did cost me a whole lot more to ship it ahead of when it was suppose to ship due to the very large box we had to use just to get it out the door to satisfy your desires (the box used was the only box suitable to use and available at the house). My wife ended up cancelling her doctors appointment to get the box into town (opposite direction) to Fed Ex, just so it would be on its way to you, just to satisfy your insatiable need. I would never expect or invoke that on anyone and certainly, isn't considered appropriate when you know someone is on business travel.

She should not have had to deal with this but since I was on travel, there wasn't any immediate solution. Do you pull your wife into a panic sales transaction like that? I never had to before, and certainly, won't do this again. I caught a lot of grief over this when I returned, not to mention the calls from her about what is going on??

The whole experience was not how it should have been, and you know that. You need to examine your behavior and understand why someone else would find it objectionable and unwarranted. I stated up front, when payment clears, but evidently, that was not satifactory after you agreed to that stipulation. I would recommend you exercise some patience in the future with other sellers, as the experience would be better for both of you. Cheerio.
Dave8787

Post by Dave8787 »

I don't think it is my behavior that needs examining,LOL.

"My wife ended up cancelling her doctors appointment to get the box into town (opposite direction) to Fed Ex, just so it would be on its way to you, just to satisfy your insatiable need."

Last post regarding this nonsense. I have other matters to attend to.

We can agree to disagree. At least we are both dog lovers.

Dave, w1wn
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

Just exercise a bit of patience is all I can request. What you do in the future is up to you.
Cheerio(s).
Dave8787

Post by Dave8787 »

Yes Father.

Dave, w1wn
n5wrx

Post by n5wrx »

Dave8787 wrote:I don't think it is my behavior that needs examining,LOL.

"My wife ended up cancelling her doctors appointment to get the box into town (opposite direction) to Fed Ex, just so it would be on its way to you, just to satisfy your insatiable need."

Last post regarding this nonsense. I have other matters to attend to.

We can agree to disagree. At least we are both dog lovers.

Dave, w1wn

What a jerk ... I would have sent the MO back to you and said F**K OFF ASHOLE!

I am certainly making note of the call W1WN for future reference.