bottom mounted rotor

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
barney

bottom mounted rotor

Post by barney »

I have read several articles about mounting your rotor at the bottom of your tower. I have a Rohn 25 g 60 ft tall. Any thoughts would be appreciated, I'm 76 years old and it is harder than finding hens teeth than to find some one to clime a tower.
k9yli

Re: bottom mounted rotor

Post by k9yli »

60 feet of pipe will be rather heavy as an addition for the rotor to turn..
plus you would have to slide the pipe into the tower and then push it up and add another piece..
easier if the tower was put up with the pipe inside already..
K7WYR

Post by K7WYR »

I had my rotor at the bottom of my tower. I used chain link top rail bought at local hardware store maybe ace hardware, any way I think i paid $11.00 for a 25 ft. stick. These pipes are swaged on 1 end so they fit together real easy, then drive a tech screw to hold them together. I took 3/4 in. plywood drilled a hole in one end just alittle bigger then the top rail. Be sure to treat the plywood so it will last. mine are still up there, after painting mount them on the cross bars about 6 or 8 feet apart, and make them long enough to hold the pipe in the center of the tower. my rotor was at a good working level. I was 74 yrs when i did mine, kinda a fun project. Good luck Doug k7wyr
n3qk

Post by n3qk »

Why not use a hazer? However, you will need a person to climb the tower once to install a pulley at the top and drop a strong rope or wire thru the pulley and back to ground to tie onto the hazer. You will also need a wench at ground level to pull the hazer up & down. I use a screw gear with a battery powered drill to raise & lower my 70 ft. hazer and it works great. All my guy lines are attached to the hazer so no need to climb tower to loosen guy wires. Have used this hazer method for over 10 years now without any problems. I too am to old (78) and weak to be climbing towers. My days of climbing towers are over!
FRED//N3QK
W0AAT

Post by W0AAT »

With all the extra rotating mass you will need a shock system between the rotor and mast. Otherwise the rotor life will suffer.

Use thrust bearings like the DX Engineering design to take all the vertical weight, in 60 feet I would have top, 15, 30, 45 feet(if using 21 foot mast sections) Someone makes the shock absorber plate but who escapes me right now...