TAPR TNC-1 help needed!

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
moolon

TAPR TNC-1 help needed!

Post by moolon »

Hello,
I have an TAPR TNC_1 I want to play around with I have no packet experience and I realize this is a very old unit! I can get the tnc to send me message when it starts up asking me to type a * which I do but no response. I have been to the TAPR website several times and have downloaded the manual. Using hyperterminal on XP and using settings requested in setup! I
Can see the * when I type it but no response from the tnc just the same message each time I sign on. Anyone out there have and ideas on this issue????

Thanks
KC7I

Re: TAPR TNC-1 help needed!

Post by KC7I »

moolon wrote:Hello,
I have an TAPR TNC_1 I want to play around with I have no packet experience and I realize this is a very old unit! I can get the tnc to send me message when it starts up asking me to type a * which I do but no response. I have been to the TAPR website several times and have downloaded the manual. Using hyperterminal on XP and using settings requested in setup! I
Can see the * when I type it but no response from the tnc just the same message each time I sign on. Anyone out there have and ideas on this issue????
It's been a while since this was posted, but in case it helps...
I have a TNC-1 clone that exhibits similar problems. These things are many decades old, and the EPROMs may have had some of the bits flip. It's called Bit Rot, and the only way to deal with it is to program a new EPROM. The hardest part is finding the binary to put in it. It might be on the TAPR website.
Bill KC7I