Why are Hams so hostile?

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
tictoc

Why are Hams so hostile?

Post by tictoc »

I have been in the electronics business for over 15 years now. Our customers range from the average Joe to the White House itself. We sell to some of the largest corporations in the world. A portion of our business comes from the ham radio community. While not all hams are hostile, it's always the case that whenever there's a problem and the customer is a ham we almost always get "the treatment". Meaning we get all kinds of unwarranted threats and intimidation tactics that are completely uncalled for. The only crowd of people out there that consistently treat others like human scum, just because there might have been some problem with their order, are "hams". It's always a ham that's quick to judge and run to the nearest internet forum and start besmirching another's reputation. I for one am sick of it. I'm tried of having my reputation harmed just because somebody's antenna arrived damaged or their order wasn't right. There is no respect, no kindness given, no benefit of the doubt offered, with little or no opportunity to make it right...no nothing. It's the "hams" that are always so cruel and hurtful to people. Can someone in the ham community explain this to me? If you want to argue that it's only the "nuts" out there doing this... than why are so many nuts attracted to ham radio? And why doesn't the ham community police themselves by ridiculing and shaming fellow hams when they treat others with such hate, discontent and disrespect? Why doesn't the ham community insist that it's members exhibit a certain level of respect and humanity when dealing with others? After all... isn't it ham radio ethics rule #1 that family and community comes first? Then our hobbies and interests?

Signed,
Former fan of ham radio.
N9LCD

Re: Why are Hams so hostile?

Post by N9LCD »

I don't have an answer but I have a solution:

IF THE WOULD BE CUSTOMER IS NOT A BUSINESS, RUN THE NAME THROUGH THE FCC'S ADVANCED LICENSE SEARCH. IF A PERSON WITH THE WOULD BE'S NAME AND ADDRESS TURNS UP AS A LICENSED HAM, REJECT THE ORDER.

So you lose some business but you also lose the pain and aggrivation.

NO ONE CAN INTIMIDATE, AGGREVATE, OR HARASS YOU UNLESS YOU LET THEM.

Stop letting them!

N9LCD

:idea:
bob2015

Post by bob2015 »

Most are, not all but most are old out of shape and maybe home bound in declining health and just down right hate life and everyone :mrgreen: .LOL
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

I suspect the real issue may be when a customer orders an item, whether they be a ham or not, and doesn't receive the support they paid for, perhaps that is why/when they become hostile as you state. I find customer service in general in most industries a thing of the past. Most businesses, no matter how righteous they perceive themselves, once paid could care less about the customer afterwards. I realize this is a general categorizations and there are actually some really decent companies out there that do care, but on the whole, not many. Nothing to do with being a ham, a business, a salesperson, etc. It is more a characteristic of our society in these times. I doubt it is "always" the ham, but perhaps they know what they are expecting and understand the issue better then the generic customer just placing an order. All part of doing business in the retail market.

Just like the resturant. Don't like the food, food is bad, who do you think the customers will complain to and take it out on?

Life is way too short. Chill. Try to enjoy. Afterall, it's only a hobby, afterall, its only a job.
ku3x

Post by ku3x »

I've been in the ham radio retail business (wire antenna distribution) for over 20 years. Over that time I have never ever had one person act hostile.
I've had people disagree with me, mostly at hamfests. I've had people ask for information that was proprietary, I would not pass that information on to them and they were not happy about it, but never ever
was anybody ever hostile.
Barry, KU3X
k1ri

Post by k1ri »

Because people like 2 previous posts in this thread

1. Have no call.
2. No real identification and hide behind a keyboard.

Like many consumers we do not like shoddy business practice, which sounds like the original poster participated in, and we have the balls to speak out.
Don't like our money, sounds like we don't like your service.
Our customers range from the average Joe to the White House itself
Thanks for the indication of over-pricing and lousy product.
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

There are some bitter childish folks out there in the amateur ranks, some of which have gotten banned off other websites for their hate speech, intolerance, childish behavior. They seem to hang around on more "open" websites/forums now, spewing their rhetoric about others, how they operate, callsigns, you name it. I suppose you will have them no matter where you go, whatever hobby, profession, etc. They are unhappy folks that look to belittle others for any and every reason. I choose to ignore such inane comments, behavior and glad, frankly, that many forums boot them out and off. If they want to rant about someone or anyone, do it somewhere else. Good folks won't be reading it, only the same minded sad pathetic individuals that they hang with.

I prefer to hang around in places that espouse positive behavior and well spirited individuals. I think those that help others out with questions/answers, no matter how complex or simplistic.

Yes, some hams are very hostile. A whole lot of others are not.