INTERFERENCE WITH DIGITAL TV

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
N9LCD

INTERFERENCE WITH DIGITAL TV

Post by N9LCD »

We're thinking of switching to over-the-air digital TV. Comcast is $100 a month and nothing to watch.

We're planning on a omni-directional digital TV antenna on our chimney. At some point in time, I'll put a VHF/UHF antenna on the chimney and an undetermined type of HF antenna somewhere on (or near) the roof.

VHF & UHF: 2 meters & 70 cm; FM; possibly SSB. Less than 250 watts output.

HF: 80 meters to 10 meters; SSB; remotely possible -- data. No linears -- less than 250 watts output.

QUESTIONS:

What's the recommended minimum separation between an over-the-air digital TV antenna and a VHF/UHF transmitting antenna?

Can the signal from a amateur VHF/UHF transmitter "damage" the front end of a digital TV. What would a ham band HF signal do?

What kinds of interference can ham band HF and VHF/UHF transmissions cause to over-the-air digital TV reception?

Thanks & 1001001!

Jerry Brumm
N9LCD
k9yli

Re: INTERFERENCE WITH DIGITAL TV

Post by k9yli »

I front end overloaded my satellite with a 15 meter verticle at about 60 feet horizontally and 100 watts.
Buy 20 feet of pipe and put either of the antennas farther away.
Most roof tops are about 14 feet off the ground. so chimney mount gets you about 20 feet up..

If all your local stations are in the uhf band that would be a different story than if some stayed on the old 7 to 13 vhf
band.
But front end overload is not totally dependent on frequency,, partly on quality of front end filtering.