murch ut-2000a HELP

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
kg4gmy

murch ut-2000a HELP

Post by kg4gmy »

I have an murch ele ut-2000a antenna tuner and have no ideal how to use it. I have looked all over the web to find one page at really tells me nothing at all. NEED SOME HELP
k9yli

Re: murch ut-2000a HELP

Post by k9yli »

Internet says its a roller inductor transmatch.
so start with a dummy load....to practice with.
Rule of thumb minimum turns on the roller for the 10 meter end of the line.
Maximum turns for the 160 end.
I have a practice of setting the Caps to mid setting.
take a guess at the turns counter for the band you want to test.
key up and check swr. change coil setting up or down , then recheck swr. crank and check,, crank and check.
if swr goes down you are heading in the right direction. find lowest SWr with the coil.
The tweak the Caps for minimum SWR.. in a dummy load it should go to zero on the meter aka 1:1
mark on a cheat sheet the frequency and the settings. Do this for each band..
On the lower bands, use at least 3 frequencys for your cheat sheets.
Then when you actually go to an antenna, start with the cheat sheet. tweak the settings,, coil first ,
then antenna cap then transmitter cap.
Practice practice practice with the dummy load until you have the procedure down pat.
I never bother to 'set' the SWR bridge to get a calibrate point.
Just adjust for the lowest meter reading.. It may not be accurate SWR, buts it as low as it's gong to get..
k9yli

Post by k9yli »

Also 'the ultimate transmatch' is in several of the versions of the "HANDBOOK",,,,,,, look it up..
And be aware there can be a couple of dips in SWR that are false minimums, caused by harmonics of the base frequency.
Be sure on an antenna you have the 'lowest ' one...

All a matter of practice............................................
ku3x

Post by ku3x »

All good information above. Here's an added tip.

Hook up your antenna, turn on your rig, follow the above instruction but also listen for the loudest receive signal while turning the knobs on the tuner.
It doesn't matter if you hear someone talking or just background noise. When the receive signal is the loudest you'll probably be the closest. Don't key down on someone talking,
but find a clear spot and tweak the SWR meter. It's not all that hard.

I may be wrong, but I think the, "A" model is only good for 10 to 80 meters and not good for 160 meters? I think it lacks inductance for 160.

Barry, KU3X
www.ku3x.net