160 meter loop antenna. How many wavelengths do I go?

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
N1VJJ

160 meter loop antenna. How many wavelengths do I go?

Post by N1VJJ »

O.K. so I'm bored with my full size, ladder line fed dipole for 160 and I decided to put up a full sized loop instead. Question is (real estate not a problem) how big should I make it. 1 full wave? 2 full waves? 3 etc. The loop will be up about 50' and still fed with 450 ohm ladder line for multi-band use. I always remember my old Elmers telling me to get as much wire up in the air as high as you can. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to building the loop larger than 1 full wave length @ 160?
Thanks,
Joe - N1VJJ
ATM
KC9WXG

Re: 160 meter loop antenna. How many wavelengths do I go?

Post by KC9WXG »

I have a 160m loop up now. The towers are 150 feet apart. I used 12 gauge wire. There is some sag in the wire now and if the towers were farther apart there would be a lot of sag unless you used more towers. Unless you have a. Lot of tree,s to hang this antenna from this could get expensive. By the way I have 574 feet of wire strung between 4 towers up 54feet. Hope this helps Dale kc9wxg