Furman Rack Rider questions ???????

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
ve3gnx

Furman Rack Rider questions ???????

Post by ve3gnx »

I want to start making a Go Box look up on Youtube very cool it normally consists of a hf rig, auto tuner, dual band mobile power supply, maybe a backup battery and all the other odds and ends in a Gator Case either a 4, 6, or 8U case.
I know that the radio I want to use for hf is the Kenwood TS-50S and it would draw 18 amps at full power and the Rack Rider is only rated for 15 amps. The Rack Rider I am talking about is the RR15, does anybody know a larger amp Rack Rider or another brand that is the same width and is rack mounted?
Please either drop me a line here or my email is ve3gnx@gmail.com
Cheers and thanks for your help.
Don VE3GNX
k9yli

Re: Furman Rack Rider questions ???????

Post by k9yli »

Maybe rethink you power needs... you dont have to work the world during an emergency.. HF at 15 to 20 watts would get you a couple hundred miles away.. enough beyond local repeater distance to do the jopb..
ve3gnx

Post by ve3gnx »

Hey K9YLI: True enough but I would also like to use it on field days which is normally 100 watts but I guess I could use 50 watts and that should be okay, the TS-50 only has three settings for outgoing power 10, 50 and 100 nothing else in between.
Cheers Don VE3GNX
k9yli

Post by k9yli »

field day is a whole different story.. take extra battery along as there is plenty of time to prepare for FD.

my suggestion is a 6 volt battery and an 8 volt battery in series..
yes 8 volt.. used on many farm tractors in the 50s area.. '
my John deere B lhad an 8 volter. I recently checked, they were still available at the local farm store.

2.2 volts per cell on 6 or 12 volt batteries. a 12 volt battery is really 13.2 fully charged.
so 6.6 volts + 8.8 = 15.4 in series. you may have to control that a bit but i think it would not stay at that level very long.

jut some thoughts on batteries...or maybe oone of the batterie boosters. I don;t knowhow they work.
perhaps they could control over voltage and use two 8 volts.. to start with 17.6 ,, for longer life.???????