Tower Climbing Harness

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
W8FCD

Tower Climbing Harness

Post by W8FCD »

I'm looking for recommendations for an inexpensive safety harness and lanyard to use in climbing my 50 ft. self-supporting Universal aluminum tower. I've never climbed the tower myself and don't want to take chances without proper equipment. I'm not interested in any comfort amenities such as a seat since my project of installing a couple pulleys for dipoles wouldn't take more than a few minutes. I'll appreciate any suggestions. Steve, spz1@att.net
k9yli

Re: Tower Climbing Harness

Post by k9yli »

I had a climbing belt with lanyard.. actually two different ones.

I bought a 'fall arrest' gear at a hamfest. leg straps etc. I fed my Klien climbing belt thru it to get the belt
function. So now its full 'tiip over' safe.
I think $25 for the fall arrest gear. I climbed with just belt for 20 years. I always use 2 lanyards.
Especially to double llanyard around guy wires etc.

I also added to the belt a short chain with big carrabiners on each end and a large one in the middle,
which snaps onto the tower bar. This holds you up close and you don't need to lean back to keep the lanyard tight.