Question about duplexers

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
wb3cez

Question about duplexers

Post by wb3cez »

I have a Yaesu FT-100 transceiver which covers 160 meters thru 6 meters plus 2 meters and 440 mhz. It has two pigtails for RF output. Pigtail #1 is for 160 thru 6 meters, and pigtail #2 is for 2 meters and 440 mhz. I have 4 separate antennas for these bands. I am guessing I will need 2 different diplexers in order to connect all 4 antennas. Are their any two diplexers available that will cover this frequency span? I have not been able to locate one the covers 160 thru 6 meters only. Also, here is perhaps a stupid question.....why do I need diplexers at all? Why can't I use a coaxial "T" for each pigtail? Thanks for any help.
Last edited by wb3cez on Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
k9yli

Re: Question about duplexers

Post by k9yli »

Somewhat depends on the 4 antennas and what they cover.
But if you use a T connector between 2 antennas, you may have the radio input impedance to be at
25 ohms if both antennas are at resonance and are 50 ohm..
Now if you have a resonant 2 meter antenna and a resonant 440 antenna connected to the 2 m /440 pigtail
you may get away with that as one antenna may appear to be a very high impedance at the opposite frequency.
"Effectively 'not there'// or because they are harmonically related, they both may radiate effectively.

on 160 thru 6 meters you need a coax switch to change antennas,, A diplexer to seperate 7 bands is just not practical.

Antenna impedances add or divide, just like resistors in series or parallel circuits.