SO...YOU wanta sell your Gear - Remember This?

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
N5JFJ

SO...YOU wanta sell your Gear - Remember This?

Post by N5JFJ »

Ok...POKING FUN, But... Can you Relate? :roll:
(1) Never mind, bought it last week, still in the Box - It's Used - Deduct $1000.
(2) Smoker? OH My Lord - DEDUCT $800.00
(3) You, Know a smoker - DEDUCT -$600.00
(4) Someone FARTED in your shack once - DEDUCT $200.00
(5) Some FARTED and It's still in your Shack - Minus extra- $100.00
(6) Your XYL Nags about -RADIO - DEDUCT - Whatever it's worth - Give it away!
(7) As your load your AMP Dogs Howl, Tube cost Half - the Entire Amp purchase Price - Neighbors always ask, what are you doing? :shock: Take a Digital photo of Output and Save it. - When Tube replacement is needed, show photo of watt meter, SELL and THEN - Purchase New Amp.
(8) Okay...Okay...So the Radio has "Big Daddy" engraved on it, and it keys up on 11 Meters? Just what are you getting at???? Why do you care? Man it's a steal... it was only used on AM! You want it for sideband, Right??? :wink:
(9) Okay...I'll throw in a kenmore Washer, Digital Camera and a 30-06 Deer rifle I bought at a Beer Joint...Does that make us even with the Trade, now?

I KNOW, there are others, that must LAUGH at these kind of Things. I DO! God Bless ALL you Guys, (Smiling) It's LIFE...Thank God we are still, in the Game!
W4FJF

$25.00 amp with tubes - and he said IT WORKS!

Post by W4FJF »

DON'T YOU EVER BELIEVE THE GUY THAT SAYS THAT THAT $25.00 AMPLIFIER WORKS!!! Actually, it does, now. A homebrewed amp that uses 4 811a's, and it DIDN'T WORK when I checked it out in the shack. Popping off the cover, then popping off the cover on the p.a. cage, I went to discharge the current stored in the caps by shorting the tube caps to ground, nothing happened! Checked the seperate power supply out, nothing there either! Then I pulled two blown fuses from the power supply. I said to myself; it cannot be this easy, there HAS to be somyhing else wrong. But I replaced the two blown fuses, and fired the old gal up, AND IT WORKED!!!!! On 40m, 25w in gets me 350w out. I wonder if the guy that I bought the amp from ever bothered to try to find out what was wrong with the amp? As I look at it, WHAT A DEAL!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FRED/W4FJF - EMAIL: ffuhrer@elmore.rr.com
Be careful: The toes you stomp on today may be attached to the butt you may have to kiss tomorrow!
kc8jxh

Post by kc8jxh »

why is it people are so freeked out about a radio that has been used on 11 meters? i just dont get it. will it get infected with some sort of virus that will come thru the mic and infect you? will it make you start saying breaker breaker? is it really less of a radio if someone did the mod to make it transmit on 27mhz? maybe im stupid, maybe im not a REAL ham, i dont know :roll: but it just dont bother me, and yes i do occasionally talk to the GOOD BUDDYS on the chicken band.
W4FJF

11 M HAM RIGS

Post by W4FJF »

I have five h-f rigs that are 11m capable, Two tempo 2020's, my Drake "B" line twins, my Yaesu FT-101, and my Icom 751A. What is the big deal? A lot of the old "boatanchors" are entirely capable of operating on 11m. As I understand it,
11m used to be a HAM band. So what is the hoopla about this? If ya'll are really upset about this, why don't you come and get me? I do not use the rigs on 11m, but the capability is there, and I didn't make the mods myself. The manufacturers did it - go after them. Otherwise, let it go, and talk about somthing more constructive, such as "The Amateur's Code of Conduct" which is easily found in the beginning pages of every ARRL Handbook. That is if you DARE to own one. Jeez, the crap you all find to nit pick about. :P
Be careful: The toes you stomp on today may be attached to the butt you may have to kiss tomorrow!
K4ICL

Now, now, now...

Post by K4ICL »

Many hams don't get their knickers in a twist about CBer's or 11 meters or the like until they see and experience the damage done by the application of the infamous and dreaded Golden Screwdriver.

CB taints the ham rig when Golden Screwdriver touches it. The butchering of ham gear to make it do the 10-4 goodbuddy shuffle make shying away from CB-ized ham rigs a good practice.

'nuff said.
W4FJF

11 M HAM RIGS

Post by W4FJF »

The only time I get my "knickers in a twist "about our ham rigs being modified to work on cb freqs is when I hear cber's on the lower part of 10m. I've even had my old call pirated by a cber in Lansing, Michigan. The people I blame for this happening is the money hungry retailers not demanding proof of the proper license when they sell a radio. The same goes for the ham selling a rig in a hamfest without demanding proof of a ham license before he sells his rig to an unknown buyer. There is no shame in asking for proof that the buyer is a ham before you sell a rig. If anything, your fellow amateurs will respect you more for asking for proof because you are protecting our frequencies from illegal operation by cbers.
I've cleaned up a few "golden screwdriver" messes on h-f rigs, and amps. It really isn't too hard to do it when you remove the roger beeps, mule farts, and echo boards, then clean up the solder points where these abominations were attached. The amps are a little harder, removing extra coils or moving the tap points on the coils back to the proper places. I get a real kick converting cb amps to 10m or 12m, they work pretty good and are very inexpensive. Remember the cb to 10m articles 73 magazine used to run?
kc8jxh

Re: Now, now, now...

Post by kc8jxh »

i have had several rigs that have had an amatures golden scredriver touch, and well it was pretty bad. being an amature dont make you a tech, being a cb'er dont make ya an idiot incapable of working on electronics.
K4ICL wrote:Many hams don't get their knickers in a twist about CBer's or 11 meters or the like until they see and experience the damage done by the application of the infamous and dreaded Golden Screwdriver.

CB taints the ham rig when Golden Screwdriver touches it. The butchering of ham gear to make it do the 10-4 goodbuddy shuffle make shying away from CB-ized ham rigs a good practice.

'nuff said.