FT 920 Yaesu ????

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
KB5WLC

FT 920 Yaesu ????

Post by KB5WLC »

Thinking of buying a FT 920 what is everyone's opinion. I have to get over buying a house and moving in but that is what I am thinking of buying. Or Maybe a 950. What vertical would you buy.
WA9WVX

Re: FT 920 Yaesu ????

Post by WA9WVX »

I did some comparisons between the YAESU FT-920 and the FT-950. The older FT-920 has some problems with the Internal Antenna Tuner, the CAT interface locking up, Low Power Output and Tx ALC metering. Unless you personally know the individual selling the Used FT-920 transceiver in Mint shape -- Buyer Beware. I'd hate to spend good money on a used transceiver and then have to put it on the bench to spend time & money repairing the unit, that's not why you would purchase a used radio.

Looking at the YAESU FT-950 transceiver as it is a current production product with well thought out features, upgradable software downloads and covers 160 thru 6 meters, Roofing Filters installed and Optional External u-Tuning - Mu-Tuning Kits covering 160 thru 20 meters. If you decided to purchase a FT-950 today, YAESU is currently offering Rebates on these units. It would be a Plug-in and Operate set up and I've haven't discovered any problems or known failures with this transceiver.

As far as recommending an all around Vertical antenna for HF use. Well the Hustler 6 BTV is a proven performer with optional Resonators for the WARC bands but what I like better is the Butternut HF9V 80 thru 6 meters, no traps in their design and a wider bandwidth per frequency band.

http://www.bencher.com/ham/index.php?ma ... ucts_id=14

Congratulation on your home purchase. I hope you checked out the C,C & Rs on your property before you signed the documentation as Building Departments and neighbors can be a pain in your lower posterior with unsightly antennas.

Dan
WA9WVX
W5WMB

Post by W5WMB »

Hi,
I just bought a Yaesu FT-920 (Off QTH.Com in fact), and I just love it! Commercial vertical antenna? I put up a GAP
Challenger DX II. It covers 2, 6,10,12,15, 20, 40, 75 and into the 80 Meter band. During the CQ DX Contest last year,
on my old Icom IC-735, I worked New Zealand on 15 meters! When I want to see what others think of a particular rig,
I just go to my browser and ask: "Review of Yaesu FT-920". I had a virtual pile-up of satisfied users accounts.
KB5WLC

Post by KB5WLC »

Thanks I checked out the Antenna situation before signing. Will not be a problem. I have the 920 now and have to get my long wire up this weekend so I can test it out. I heard it on the air a week before paying for it. As long as he was not playing games with me so I am hoping it will be fine Thanks. for the info I was thinking the Butternut would be the better antenna from my research. Now I just have to find one I can afford. Larry G. KB5WLC
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

The 920 some may say is "older" but it is a stellar performer. It has very nice receive audio and transmit audio, great ergonomics, etc. I have never had one with any problems and any time I parted with it, I regretted it. My last radio was a FT-950 which was a dog in dealing with noise. IF DSP did nothing for me. I was glad to part with it. I think you made a wise choice, now just get out there and get on the air and enjoy.....GL!
KB5WLC

Post by KB5WLC »

Thanks for the reply I can't wait to get back on the air. But I am still attempting to decide what vertical 160 - 6 that I want to try. Looking at a MFJ-2990 right now. as soon as I can get ahead on the money department. I will be on the AIR. KB5WLC.
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

I had and still have the 920. Great receiver, and yes, mine is mint. It is very very clean, works great on HRD, digital modes, wonderful audio, transmit and receive. Had the 950 (which now is ceasing production), and got rid of it pronto. Couldn't handle noise effectively, was an okay lower to mid range radio but price wise, you can get one for around 800 now, about the same as the 920 which continues to hold value. The ergonomics of the 920 is very well layed out.
kb0omq

Post by kb0omq »

The Yeasu FT-920 is a excellent Rig, if it has never been Modified. I bought one new and I wish that I'd never sold that one. What I liked about it, it could do everything the FT-1000D could do. Would I buy a used FT-920, yes if it was not Modified. As far as Vertical Antennas go I would settle on a Hustler 5BTV or a 6BTV and ground mount it if you can. If you cannot ground mount the Vertical put up a Fan Dipole. 73 from RB