clegg fm - 28 tone board

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
agillot

clegg fm - 28 tone board

Post by agillot »

won a clegg fm 28 at the last club meeting [ raffle ] , no body wanted it , it is in perfect condition , did install a ss32 tone board , now , repeaters come on , but i get a load hum with mic key depressed , voice become not readable .at the rear of radio , there is a 7 pin socket , pin 1 is for tone , and 7 ground .i tried to turn down the adjustable output of board , but the hum does not change .the manufacturer of board is not familiar with this radio .this board work fine on a old kenwood tr 7400 a .any idea . thanks alain , kd6sbn
k9yli

Re: clegg fm - 28 tone board

Post by k9yli »

I had a similar problem on an old kenwood. it was caused by the power lead i put in for the tone board.
use rg174 for power and signal. ground the shield on only one end .. unless both ends help..
It could be caused by where your wires run past other audio componenets on the boards.
try moving the tone board around as a test function. You may need some shield between it and other components. ..