Problems using SignaLink USB and the DigiPan Program

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
W8FCD

Problems using SignaLink USB and the DigiPan Program

Post by W8FCD »

I’m new to the digital game and have been using BPSK-31 for one week with a SignaLink USB with DigiPan software and running 20 watts.

I have two issues:

1). My RF output power doesn’t remain constant after I initially set it at 20 watts, it fluctuates. I tune the rig for max output which is 100 watts. On my computer I then set the “Speakers” tab at full and the “Wave” tab at half way as instructed everything else is muted. I then turn the SignaLink TX knob up for a reading of 20 watts output making sure there is no ALC reading. At this point everything looks good. Then, when I turn the unit “off” and back “on” again, my output power will either drop down by 10 watts or so without me touching anything else and not moving my cursor on the waterfall dial. This can go back and forth. Also, after I shut down for the day and come back the next morning (or anytime after being away from the desk for a while) and then turn things back “on”, my output power reads way up there, anywhere from 60 to 80 watts for example. I then have to re-tune all over again.

I connected a dummy load and checked the output power and it reads a constant 20 watts when initially set so I know the SignaLink USB is operating properly.

2). I'm able to make many initial contacts but lose some because I drift off their freq. without touching anything. I can see my “flag” jump (usually to the left) of the incoming freq. and have to re-position it into the center of the incoming signal again.

I certainly welcome corrective suggestions.
Thanks, 73, Steve