IC 746 Pro, now a mic.

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
K9OAT

IC 746 Pro, now a mic.

Post by K9OAT »

I recently purchased a IC 746 Pro. Since both are nearly the same price, do I buy the Heil Gold line or use the Icom SM 20 mic. Thanks K9OAT
W0LPQ

Mic's

Post by W0LPQ »

Well, up to you. I bought an SM-20 from WR0T and use it. I like it. I think Bill, WR0T has a Heil, but also has an SM-20. Good reports with the SM-20. Never used a Heil, but they do sound good. Maybe you could find a used SM-20 for a lot less than a new one, same for a Heil.

My radio is a 756 Pro.

Bill, W0LPQ
wr0t

Mike for Icom

Post by wr0t »

I just sold my last Goldline mike. I have found that several weeks of use they tend to drop off on output when used with the Icom's to the point that there is no longer any mike gain control left.

I have went to all Icom SM 20 mikes with zero problems...

Several people have told me that is is just with the Icom rigs and Kenwood rigs are not affected. Cap changing value maybe? Who know sbut I am done using them. At one time I had 11 of them mainly because they were freebies with new Icom gear that I bought.
Proud to Fly the Flag Long Before Was Popular
wr0t

Icom

Post by wr0t »

I just got another new Icom 746 PRO and a Goldline came with it. The goldline worked good with good output for about 1 hour and fell off to zerl. The SM 20 is fine.

My advice is even if you get a free Goldline, don't even open it, sell it to a Kenwood user at once for 50.00 and get a mike that will work right on an Icom.

This is no 12 that has done it but never this quick
ks9wi

mic for 746

Post by ks9wi »

I have a 746 not a pro, but the mic I use is a Heil HM-10.with a foot switchI used to have a SM-20 on my IC-775. I sold it and have a Heil dual element HMi on it. Not trying to discredit the SM-20. It is just an expensive mic. THe Heil is much cheaper and at least as good.... prob better. Just my 2 cents worth!!!!

73!

Keith, KS9WI
wr0t

Mikes

Post by wr0t »

The HM 10 mikes work fine on Icom. It is the goldlines that I am talking about . They are problems on Icom rigs.....

If anyone needs a brand new sealed in the plastic Heil CC1 cable for Icom. I have one left and that is the last of the Heil stuff, thank goodness..