TL-922A "sticking" Antenna Relay ?

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
W8FCD

TL-922A "sticking" Antenna Relay ?

Post by W8FCD »

Occasionally, after transmitting through the TL-922A and releasing the microphone switch, the level of receiver audio drops off, it doesn't return to the level at which it was originally set. In order to correct the issue I have to toggle the microphone's switch a few times tripping the TL-922A's relay and the receiver audio level will return. Am I correct in assuming it's a relay issue in the amplifier and if so is it an easy fix? Any help will greatly be appreciated. W8FCD, Steve spz1@att.net
W8FCD

Post by W8FCD »

With the help of Cliff, KA5IPF, and others, I solved the problem. I trimmed a typical business card, dampened it with some contact cleaner, and with a flashlight, pair of glasses and patience, I was able to clean the contacts of the relay.

A tip for others who might experience this problem.
Since Kenwood no longer makes these relays I had to be extra careful not to damage it while poking around in a rather tight area.
k9yli

Post by k9yli »

For all to read about relays.. several common problems...
I have 20 years experience with relays in IBM machines. backin the days of tab cards.

collection of dirt/anything sticky.. between core and armature.
causes two problems.. one is realy doesnt fully pick, leaving weak tension on the normally open contacts.
other is armature sticks to the core, causeing slow drop out..

another slow drop out is caused by worn residule.
residule is a piece of thin aluminum where outter end of armature hits the relay
frame. with out the gap, armature sticks to the fram by residule magnetism, monentarily.
scotch tape works ok for this function..
also check gap of armature to core when picked.. scotch tape works there too..
on any relay check the points for ''wipe''
as the relay contacts touch they should slightly slide aganst each other.
both on N O nd N C... this causes a slight cleaning ,, each action..
also do not have the contacts exactly parallel just before make..
outer end of stationary contact should be slightly closer.. adds to the wipe action....
W8FCD

Post by W8FCD »

Thanks Don for the nicely detailed explanation of possibilities and solutions.