Which Linear Amp Should I Buy?

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
K4ICL

Which Linear Amp Should I Buy?

Post by K4ICL »

I often receive emails or phone calls wanting to know what is the best HF linear amplifier to purchase.

Without hesitation, I whole heartily recommend the Collins 30L-1 linear amp. Here is why.

· It is a Collins product and is very well designed and superbly manufactured.
· The 30L-1 is rated as one of the top five of all HF amplifiers rated on the eHam.com Review pages.
· The 30L-1 is a grounded grid amp which uses inexpensive 811A or 572 finals.
· The 30L-1 may be powered with 115 VAC or 230 VAC mains, changeable by simple wiring change.
· The 30L-1 will function properly on any frequency between 3.5 and 30 MHz.
· The 30L-1 will function on WARC bands by readjusting the input circuits, per the manual.
· The 30L-1 has five-band switch positions 80-40-20-15-10 but may be used on any amateur band above 3.5 MHz.
· The 30L-1 is easy to use, very dependable and a delight to tune.
· The 30L-1 is quiet! I have to look over at the unit to see if it is on since I can’t hear it.
· The 30L-1 is portable and not very heavy to move around.
· The 30L-1 produces from 1,000 to 1,400 watt PEP output power; near legal limit.
· The 30L-1 can be driven with any HF exciter with 70 to 100 watts of output power.
· The 30L-1 will interface (relay keying) with any exciter by using a simple compatibility circuit to isolate the exciter from the 30L-1 100 Volt keying control voltage. A 12 volt switching relay is the most common method of interfacing.
· Compared to other amps of the similar capabilities, the 30L-1 is the least expensive to buy. I have purchased them for as little as $100 for fixer uppers, to $650 for one ready to use and in very good condition.
· Parts for the 30L-1 are surprising easy to find, even after the many years since production was halted. (The U.S. Government bought thousands 30L-1’s and this is keeping their cost and parts availability attractive.)
· Power supply mods and or upgrades are readily available from several sources and are inexpensive.
· If you take care of your 30L-1 and maintain it properly its value goes UP, not down as is the case with just about all other HF linear amps manufactured.

There are two variations of the 30L-1, the so-called Winged Emblem (WE) logo or the newer Collins “Meatball” logo variety. The latter is of later production with a few minor improvements. There is no difference between the practical operations of either variety.
ku3x

Post by ku3x »

If you are getting 1400 watts out of a Collns 30L-1, either you need a new watt meter or your are over driving the amp. You are hammering the grids and beating to death the power supply !

Even if you change the tubes to four each 572's, that amp is not designed for that kind of power output.

Asking the question, "What kind of amp should I buy" is like asking what kind of car should I buy? It' too broad of a questions. The amp you need is an amp that fits your needs.

If you are going to run a 48 hour RTTY contest at 1500 watts out, you'd need an amp in the Alpha class.

If you would just like to get another S unit stronger of a signal and you just rag chew a little a day, then a nice small solid state amp would fit your needs.

Narrow down your question to get an honest answer.
Barry, KU3X
K4ICL

OK

Post by K4ICL »

Ok...

Do you feel better now!
kd8rhy

Post by kd8rhy »

WOW.. :roll: