Yaesu VX-7 Receive Issue?

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
marty_wittrock

Yaesu VX-7 Receive Issue?

Post by marty_wittrock »

Howdy,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen this issue with a VX-7 HT on receive. The VX-7 has a Main-level receiver and a Sub-level receiver in the same HT. My Main-level receiver has weak receive, yet my Sub-level receiver has EXCELLENT receive when I switch between the Main and the Sub for the same 2m (or other) frequency. What's startling is that I can retune the Main receiver to a WX channel (in my area 162.475 MHz is active) and the receive is weak, yet when I retune the Main to the FM band (an active freq there is 107.9 MHz) the receive is strong and in great shape. I also found that when the Main is tuned to a 2m frequency (in my case that's 146.745 MHz) and I use WFM mode, the receive signal is better (a little stronger) than it is in NFM mode. In NFM mode on the 2m frequency it's just not readable - weak.

I see in the technical manual that there's 5 front ends for this HT and they're shared between the Main and Sub receivers - so there's no issue with a blown front end (that eliminates that - I think).

Has anyone seen this issue with their (or anyone elses) VX-7? Let me know - I'm not ready to throw in the towel and may opt to repair this HT if it's possible. If anyone knows a reputable place that repairs HTs like the VX-7, let me know that, too.

Thanks es 73 de Marty, KN0CK
de Marty (KN0CK)