Tilt tower

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
WB8JBG

Tilt tower

Post by WB8JBG »

I have a Rohn 60 Ft tower that I want to tilt from 30 ft. up. With some kind of winch system. I was wondering if anybody makes a kit for this purpose. I'm getting too old to take my tower down everytime I want to adjust the antenna. I know they make this kind of tower but they cost an arm and leg. Tnx.
K9XR

Re: Tilt tower

Post by K9XR »

Rohn use to make a fold-over kit for both 25G and 45G towers. They were called the FOK-25 and the FOK-45. I don't believe they have been made for at least 20 years but every now and then you still see them for sale both here on QTH and also on ebay. You might try to place a "Wanted" AD here on QTH. You never know what will show up.

I have seen where some peopls have said that Rohn quit making them because of stability problems, But I know of a couple of them here in the Chicago area that have been up for AT LEAST 30 years. I thing the biggest ting is not to overload them and to guy them properly.. The biggest difference with the fold-over towers is that they were guyed at Four points on the ground instead of the normal Three points that every one is used to.
WB8JBG wrote:I have a Rohn 60 Ft tower that I want to tilt from 30 ft. up. With some kind of winch system. I was wondering if anybody makes a kit for this purpose. I'm getting too old to take my tower down everytime I want to adjust the antenna. I know they make this kind of tower but they cost an arm and leg. Tnx.
W9RGY

Tilt tower

Post by W9RGY »

Just went to the Rohn website and there is a tilt tower in their 'products' section of the website. Maybe just started making them again.
K9XR

Re: Tilt tower

Post by K9XR »

Yes, I see that tilt-over tower that they now make. That thing has to cost a fotune as it is made from 20" heavy duty 45G and 55G secttions. Self-supporting is nice but I wonder how much wind load it will support at 60''?

The older style "fold-over" towers were guyed abbout half way where the tilt section was and they had a "tapered" extension that acted as the lever to tilt it over, similar to the way they are now using the 55G on the new tilt-over. The guys were to Four ground points and if I remember correctly they were pretty close in ,like only 25 or 30 feet away from the base of the tower.

W9RGY wrote:Just went to the Rohn website and there is a tilt tower in their 'products' section of the website. Maybe just started making them again.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

I had thought of doing exactly what your thinking of and the only way we(ham friend) could figure out how to do it was i'd have to mount a heavy metal post and fix a wench to it, then to the tower. I'm sure that would have worked but just never did it as i had a carport built right where the Tower would have laid down at. But maybe that idea we had will work for you.
Larry Huff K0pd
W9RGY

Post by W9RGY »

Checked prices on them :shock: 20ft. for over 5k.
WB8JBG

Tilt tower

Post by WB8JBG »

What I thought I would do is make 2 inserts that would fit into the tower at 30 feet and weld a steel pipe about 20 ft long and attache a winch to that pipe and pull the last 30 feet up. The 2 inserts will have to be something like a strong hinge. I think that is what the last gentleman was talking about. TNX.
K9XR

That would work

Post by K9XR »

I've seen somebody do just that. The only obstacle is getting the hinge to work correctly. I don;t think you would be able to use a regular Rohn tilt-over mount becaue it would be marginal in strength when tilting over and would probably be a pain to get to accept the tower when it is close to upright. Climbing rhe tower to align the legs would seem to defeat the purpose. Rohn used to us a solid hinge, much like a giant door hinge and the wher the sections met were flat so thae butted uo, but did nit go into one another, On the new one they it appears that they also use a solid hinge and the whole darn tower tilts. That 20' long heavy duty 45G must be some strong stuff!
k0pd wrote:I had thought of doing exactly what your thinking of and the only way we(ham friend) could figure out how to do it was i'd have to mount a heavy metal post and fix a wench to it, then to the tower. I'm sure that would have worked but just never did it as i had a carport built right where the Tower would have laid down at. But maybe that idea we had will work for you.
K9XR

Post by K9XR »

OUCHHH!!
W9RGY wrote:Checked prices on them :shock: 20ft. for over 5k.
K9XR

ROHN 45G Fold-Over Tower

Post by K9XR »

There is a 64 ft. ROHN 45G fold-over tower on QRZ.COM right now for $700. It sounds like all it needs is the bolts, guy wire and cable for the winch. It seems like a pretty good price for a 45G;
WB8JBG

tilt tower

Post by WB8JBG »

Tnx for the info but my budget won't allow me to spend that kind of money. I would have to re-configure my base and buy a new base plate.