YOUR OPINION???

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
BRIAN KB0CIG

YOUR OPINION???

Post by BRIAN KB0CIG »

I LIVE IN AN APARTMENT WHERE OUTSIDE ANTENNAS ARE NOT ALLOWED..I AM EXPERIMENTING WITH DIFFERENT INDOOR CONFIGURATIONS AND I CAME UP WITH A GOOD PLAN, OR ATLEAST I THINK IT IS A GOOD PLAN..I HAVE READ AN ARTCILE THAT SAYS A COIL OF WIRE DEMONSTRATES THE SAME HF CHARACTERISTICS( AS IN ANTENNA) AS A LINEAR WIRE OF THE SAME LENGHT.. IS THIS TRUE? OF COURSE I AM TALKING ABOUT A COIL WOUND AROUND A GIVEN STOCK..PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS..
KB0CIG
k9yli

Post by k9yli »

Perhaps yes and no....
steps for indoor antenna.
1 how much space do you actually have,,length wise...?
2 using antenna design, calculate necessary loading coil for that length of wire.

3 Loading coils act differently , say in a verticle, if bottom loaded,, center loaded or top loaded..

top loading being the prefered, center loading compromise, bottom loading , least efficient.

loading coils for added length are not the same as traps in a trap antenna.
traps are a tuned circuit,, coil and capacitor.

If you have a 12 foot wall to hang this antenna on.. that would roughly be
a 9 meter dipole. so you would need loading coils to raise that to what ever freq/meter length you are shooting for.
10 meters would be fairly easy.... 80 meters,, lots more coil.

The HANDBOOK antenna section or an antenna design book or
yup... the internet.

go for it.
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

ae6zw

INDOOR WIRE ANT Re: YOUR OPINION???

Post by ae6zw »

I have been using indoor wire ANT for many years operating from 160 to 10 mtr band. I use thumb tacs to place AWG 22 insulated white wire to ceiling , and connect to current balun and ANT tuner, I had a reasonably good result with this indoor ANT. I also used in the passed MFJ artificial GND as well as ANT tuner, when I live at 2nd floor. it seems water pipe work best GND for most apartment.