WANTED; I'LL TRY THIS........ HELPFUL HAM

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
BRIAN KB0CIG

WANTED; I'LL TRY THIS........ HELPFUL HAM

Post by BRIAN KB0CIG »

I HAVE A NEWLY PURCHASED KENWOOD TS-520S AND AM HAVING A PROBLEM..IN THE FINAL STEP OF TUNING,HERE IS WHAT I AM DOING : MODE SWITCH IN CW MODE, METER ON RF, SEND SWITCH UP, AND PEAK LOAD FOR MAX METER READING....I GET NOTHING ON THE METER, WHAT AM I NOT DOING RIGHT?...HELP WANTED..TNX ES 73, BRIAN KB0CIG
KB0CIG
K4ICL

It has been a long time, but...

Post by K4ICL »

It has been over twenty years since I used on but I believe there is a filament switch on the unit that allows you to listen without drawing a lot of power.

If so, be sure the filament switch is ON...

Also, go through the entire tuning process, peak grid, dip an load the plate, etc. The 520 uses tube finals and this means you will have to tune it EVERY time you use.

AL
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

You did not mention i believe whether you have the switch(plate) in the middle of the drive and load on the frequency your trying to load up on. If your trying to load on 20 meters make sure the band position is on 14 on your plate. Then do your load and drive. Once you get a reading then adjust the switch(plate) that is on 14 to get a Higher reading then forget it and do your load and drive settings. If your getting no reading then there are two possiblilities one is the meter is not working or your tubes are bad. If you have a external meter for power then you might use it to be sure.
Larry Huff K0pd
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Brian this site should tell you how to properly load and tune your 520..Just go to U tube and enter tuning Kenwood 520..
Last edited by lhk0pd on Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Huff K0pd
BRIAN KB0CIG

520 TUNING

Post by BRIAN KB0CIG »

k0pd wrote:You did not mention i believe whether you have the switch(plate) in the middle of the drive and load on the frequency your trying to load up on. If your trying to load on 20 meters make sure the band position is on 14 on your plate. Then do your load and drive. Once you get a reading then adjust the switch(plate) that is on 14 to get a Higher reading then forget it and do your load and drive settings. If your getting no reading then there are two possiblilities one is the meter is not working or your tubes are bad. If you have a external meter for power then you might use it to be sure.

YES I HAVE THE SWITCH( PLATE) ON THE BAND I AM LOADING ON.YOU POINTED ME IN RIGHT DIRECTION, FAULTY METER , AS MY WATT METER SHOWS GOOD OUT PUT. AM I RIGHT TO THINK I CAN DO ALL THE TUNING WITH THE USE OF MY WATT METER? I HAVE CHECKED IDLE CURRENT AND IT IS AT 60MA, WHERE IT SHOULD BE..TNX, BRIAN
KB0CIG
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Yes there should be no problem tuning your radio using the outboard watt meter.
Larry Huff K0pd