No s-meter deflection on 20 CW

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
WD6R

No s-meter deflection on 20 CW

Post by WD6R »

I have an FT1000D rig. I notice there is no s-meter deflection on 20 meters CW. The meter does deflect on SSB. Signals are strong but have no movement on the s-meter. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Joe, WD6R
ac9xh

Re: No s-meter deflection on 20 CW

Post by ac9xh »

hello,
I dont own a ft1000d but if its just on 20 meters, it has to be associated to the 20 meter section.maybe its in a relay circuit ? or maybe you have a part bad in the 20 meter band section? thats where i would focus attention. if its ok on ssb on all bands, and all bands except 20 meters,possible switching diode? dont have a schematic but maybe a diode for switching? or a transistor?, maybe a cold solder joint. Or a dirty/bad relay. to prove this, open it up and identify the relays and board area going to receive and smeter area. tap on them and see if it restores funtion. also use a toothbrush or some plastic item to tap on the board itself and see if it may be a bad connection. You should also be able to use a digital votl meter and see the swings on the meter following it from the meter to the source. going from SSB to CW i believe you probably have a relay or some solid state component bad,relay dirty? not making full contact on all surfaces?

My guess,20 meter associated relay,bad connection/solderjoint, or diode or transistor.

Sorry but i dont own one of those nice radios.

hope this helps.

David
ac9xh