Who NOT to Deal With

Discussion of ways to help ensure a safe trade, so you don't get ripped-off. Do not discuss individuals here. Use the Feedback Forum instead.
N0JR

Who NOT to Deal With

Post by N0JR »

Here is a current QTH.COM listing--

I HAVE A MINT SHAPE ICOM 735 WITH 500.HZ CW FILTER AND HM 12 HAND MIC AND ORG MANUAL. RADIO WORKS
GREAT AND LOOKS GREAT FOR $400.00 I WILL PAY U.P.S.

Here is my rather standard (after decades of doing it) inquiry--

Hi,
Am interested in your 735. What can you tell me about it? History--use--mobile--etc. Photos? Many tks! 73, Jan N0JR

Here is the twit's amazing response--

jan the the raido works great and look nice thanks

Avoid ANYONE who responds that way. ANYONE who isn't willing to give you product details and descriptions, history and ownership, service record, photos, and evidence of his/her own legitimacy (such as ebay feedback) after a serious inquiry is not to be trusted.

IF YOU CHOOSE TO DEAL WITH ANYONE WHO DOES NOT DO THESE THINGS, AND RESPONDS AS THE TWIT ABOVE DID TO MY INQUIRY, DON'T COMPLAIN TO QTH.COM OR ANYONE ELSE. YOU DESERVE WHAT YOU GET.

Vy 73 to the honest and decent hams out there.
Dr. Jan C. Robbions, N0JR

--------------------------------------------------------
For your reference, here is a copy of the ad you are responding to:[color=darkred][/color][color=darkred][/color][size=18][/size]
Don't buy or sell to ANYONE you don't have good reason to trust. Trust is earned, not demanded.
K4ICL

Hmmmm. Perhaps....

Post by K4ICL »

It might have been better to ask your questions like this:

Greetings:

I am interested in your radio but before I can make a purchasing decision I need some very specific information that only you can provide:

What is the known history of the radio? (Did you buy it new? How long have you had it? Has it ever been used mobile. Has it been used where people smoke? Has it ever been sent off to be repaired? If yes, what was the nature of the problem?)

I also need to know it EXACT conditon. Damage, repairs done, scratches, dings, discoloration, missing parts, etc. Does it have full output? Is receiver sensitivity good? Any known problems with the radio.

I need you to send me some clear pictures of the rig so I can see what it looks like.

When I have the information I have asked for, I will make a decision.

Thanks,

etc....
Cheers,

AL
K4ICL
KE3GK

Sold !

Post by KE3GK »

If it looks nice and works great - it must be MINT ! Especially after 15 years or so.

SOLD !

Wonder if he has another one ?
w8jn

how to spot a crook

Post by w8jn »

look out for con man evasive answers
Q has the rig been exposed to smoke
A i do not smoke
caution: your question was "has the rig ever been exposed to smoke" his answer said "i dont smoke but the guy i bought it from smoked 10 packs a day and the rig looks like road tar"

Q since you are not the original owner, was the rig exposed to smoke before you had it
A i dont know
caution: only a crook or moron would tell you he does not know if a rig was ever exposed to smoke

COMMENT: "i am selling this for a friend who does not have a computer"
red flag alert!!! that comment really means " i am selling this pile of junk and will take your money.. when you receive it and contact me, i will tell you "it was not mine"

ask your seller for HAM REFERENCES HOME AND WORK LANDLINES

Q please supply me with 2 ham references their (non anonymous) emails and their home landlines before i send $2000 off to a stranger
A I am offended... dont you trust me?
comment.. anyone not willing to supply you with references before you send money is not worth dealing with...
99% of deals gone bad are because people "assumed" how things would go and did not ask
Q what if the equip is damaged in transit?
Q what if ups or fed ex denies the claim because your seller packed it badly?
Q will the seller take responsibility and send your money back?
Q damage claims are between the shipper and ups... ups or fed ex WILL NOT SETTLE THE CLAIM WITH YOU AS THE RECEIVER!!!! THATS A FACT JACK!!!!
Q fed ex or ups will bury you with paperwork.. will your seller do the right thing and take care of the claim or will he take a hike?
k5yy

FULLY AGREE

Post by k5yy »

Agee with the above posts. VERY good info that all should read, all pertinent to protect yourself in today's "crook" climate! hi Just use some common sense and if it doesn't smell right, DON'T do it!! It is your money... San[/u][/i]
W0LC

Have to agree

Post by W0LC »

Jan,
Have to agree with your post and some of the responses. In my situation, I was ripped off by KC7CYA who stated he had this "restored" receiver that was totally functional, etc. He even agreed to take it back if it didn't work upon receipt (part of the agreement prior to shipping).

Well, you guessed it. When I got it, it didn't work at all. In fact, the "restoration" was nothing more then a slap of shellac on the wooden case. Guy is an idiot. Restoring a unit means going through it electrically and mechanically as well. Something I am sure he "missed" in all the excitement.

Well, it cost me almost 1/2 of what I paid this crook to get it working. The parts that were replaced were totally dead and not the result of "shipping" damage as he tried to push off onto Fed-X. In fact, the tracking number I received after it arrived, was bogus to start with. A real clue.

Anyway, now I am out a boat load of money and have a piece of crap that basically works now, but to me, isn't worth $5. He stated it was a rare receiver, which at the outset I knew was BS. It is a very common receiver and you can find info on it on the internet. Guy smokes dope or something.

Anyway, even though you get all kinds of assurances, sometimes, like me, a person gets ripped off. Sometimes, a gut feeling is a real warning and I should have listened to my instincts rather then "trust" an criminal like this one.

Don't buy or sell anything to KC7CYA should you see his callsign anywhere. He is in it to make illegal $!
k8vf

Rig info when selling or buying.

Post by k8vf »

I can sympathize with your problems.

Some of us guys are like pulling teeth out of a hippo when trying to get info on a rig that is for sale.

If you buy from me you will get ANY info I know. Including what is broken....or scratched.

WHY cant these guys answer your questions in the ad? The ad should make you want to call about it, shouldn't it?

I have sent several .." could you please SPECIFICALLY tell me of any cosmetic damage or electronic problems?....what I have received back is...." it works ok and looks good"

DUH! Not an answer is it?

All in all I will say that MOST guys are honest.....

A nice fraternity to belong to.

K8VF