Beware overseas shipping scam "Ken Roberts"

Discussion of ways to help ensure a safe trade, so you don't get ripped-off. Do not discuss individuals here. Use the Feedback Forum instead.
ny4t

Beware overseas shipping scam "Ken Roberts"

Post by ny4t »

Despite having this included in my For Sale ad for my Kenwood TS450SAT :
"Will sell only to licensed amateur. Asking $475 shipped CONUS, you pick up insurance if desired. Sales via PayPal or USPS Money Order only. "

I received this response today from a "Ken Roberts". In the callsign window it says "111"

"We are interested in buying your above mentioned products (Kenwood) at advertised rate of $475.00. Goods to be shipped to London. Cost and modalities of shipping to be born by us.

Payment for the purchase is by check through a debtor in US. The debtor owes us higher than our purchase. He will therefore be sending you a check for $5,000 to cover the cost of our order, as well as the Shipping costs.

On receipt of the check, you will cash and deduct the cost of our order .The balance you will send as we would instruct you to the Agency that will ship the Goods to us. If this arrangement suites you fine, please send us your address where to send the check, as well as the name to be on it. Also send us your phone number for easy communication.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Best Regards

MR. KEN ROBERTS."

This is a scam folks. Unless you want to be minus your equipment and your money, stay away from it. It looks like it comes from the same folks who e-mail me from Africa every other week offering to send me millions of dollars if I just give them access to my bank account. Duh, if you fall for these morons, you deserve to be scammed.

Lee Hall (NY4T)

BTW, "Mr. Roberts" isn't particularly literate for an Englishman. It should be - cost and modalities of shipping to be borne by us - not born. And no, "Mr. Roberts" the arrangement doesn't suite me fine....it doesn't suit me fine either!
ill41

me too

Post by ill41 »

I received the same deal from my ad.Hope no one falls for this scam.I believe he targeted QTH.COM.
KA9FOX
Site Admin

It's the Cashier's Check scam!

Post by KA9FOX »

Yep, this is the classic Cashier's Check scam that has been popular for the last few months.

Please see this page for more information:

http://chat.qth.com/viewtopic.php?t=211

73 - Scott KA9FOX
Free Ham Radio Classified Ads: https://swap.QTH.com
Anna68

ken roberts

Post by Anna68 »

I received the exact reply after having an item for sale. I contacted my local police and I let him send the cheque. It was from the "Chevy Chase Bank" in Maryland. All I had to do is email them with the account number and amount and they quickly told me that it was a fake. "Ken" wasn't so nice when I told him that I was not cashing the cheque. :roll: