Ebay is Fixed (smell I)

Discussion of ways to help ensure a safe trade, so you don't get ripped-off. Do not discuss individuals here. Use the Feedback Forum instead.
ab7jk

Ebay is Fixed (smell I)

Post by ab7jk »

I think Ebay is fixed. I don't see how old ham gear on Ebay can bring the bids I see with the economy in the shape it's in. Right now Cash is King but not on Ebay. It's as though the economy is alive and well and everybody is living in a palace.

Five years ago a cheap transceiver (Corsir II, FT-747GX, TS-130S) could be had for $200. Today nobody has any money but you can't buy either of these radios for less than $300 on Ebay. Something stinks.

I think sellers are driving up the prices of their own auctions by bidding on their own auctions using proxies (friends or relatives). There might be other tricks they are using.

No way no how people have all the money to spend that's being spent on Ebay.

So there!
ab7jk

Post by ab7jk »

Ebay made it easier for fraudulent bids by making bidders mostly anonymous - all you see is the first and last letter of the bidders identity. This all but assured the auctions are crooked in favor of the sellers. And there is nothing you can do to prove it and Ebay couldn't care less. They are more protected now than before.

AB7JK
wx1f

Post by wx1f »

ab7jk wrote:Ebay made it easier for fraudulent bids by making bidders mostly anonymous - all you see is the first and last letter of the bidders identity. This all but assured the auctions are crooked in favor of the sellers. And there is nothing you can do to prove it and Ebay couldn't care less. They are more protected now than before.

AB7JK
It's not the fraudulent bidders...it's the idiot bidders who throw money at junk rigs. It's like watching sharks around a wounded fish. Once the frenzy starts...the idiot bidders just can't stand to loose and they all start bidding out their asses for boat anchors!! Imagine...they're paying over $150 for a Drake speaker that needs paint or power supply that still has it's old filter caps !!! Good God !!! :shock:
hamman59

Ebay

Post by hamman59 »

Both statements are true and exist on some level. I noticed buyers making insane bids. Ebay takes advantage of the auction mentality which makes people lose control of their emotions. I investigate what an item is worth and bid that amount. I never get the item at that price. I must bid more than normal to win so I don't often bid. The problem with Ebay is that the internet goes everywhere and you are always competing with suckers who will bid just about anything to get an item. I emailed a fellow who outbid me on some Kenwood gear, asking him why he bid so high after I found the same radio on a second auction, cheaper. He said, "I was not checking and I just lost my self control". You do remember the old saying, " There's a sucker born every minute "? Ebay proves it. Better to buy locally or somewhere without so many competing buyers.
wx1f

Re: Ebay is Fixed (smell I)

Post by wx1f »

ab7jk wrote:I think Ebay is fixed. I don't see how old ham gear on Ebay can bring the bids I see with the economy in the shape it's in. Right now Cash is King but not on Ebay. It's as though the economy is alive and well and everybody is living in a palace.

Five years ago a cheap transceiver (Corsir II, FT-747GX, TS-130S) could be had for $200. Today nobody has any money but you can't buy either of these radios for less than $300 on Ebay. Something stinks.

I think sellers are driving up the prices of their own auctions by bidding on their own auctions using proxies (friends or relatives). There might be other tricks they are using.

So there!
There is a way to win an auction. It only works if two or more fools with deep pockets don't start a bidding war. It's called "sniping". You wait until the last 10 seconds..then bid what you think the item is actually worth to you. Most of the time, there are other snipers..so it's a crap shoot.
wa8mea

Post by wa8mea »

-
Last edited by wa8mea on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
VE3FMC

Re: Ebay is Fixed (smell I)

Post by VE3FMC »

ab7jk wrote:I think Ebay is fixed. I don't see how old ham gear on Ebay can bring the bids I see with the economy in the shape it's in. Right now Cash is King but not on Ebay. It's as though the economy is alive and well and everybody is living in a palace.

So there!

You have to remember those old rigs are "MINT, LIKE NEW" :D

I agree with others when they say the bidders are saying "no way that guy is out bidding me on that item. I want it"

So the price goes up and up and people end up paying a lot more than what it is worth.

A fool and his money are soon parted :)
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

There is one "commercial" dealer in used amateur radio equipment on eBay that sells everything as ESTATE equipment. It seems that there are about 12 hams a week that die in his neighborhood. I wouldn't want to live there. He must think that gives him some protection from selling junk or otherwise appeals to the human side of purchasers. Either way, I avoid that crap.
n9ixw

Ebay

Post by n9ixw »

I have used ebay for purchases for several years. The tricks are 1 be patient.
As one post said ... try sniping but only bid what you can afford. 3 Yes there is a win at all cost attitude. Yes some of the sellers inflate the prices.
Do some research as to what it cost in other markets and set a price your willing to pay. Look for auctions the end early morning or late at night. and be sure to look at the feedback rating as well as the info on the item.
Honestly I have had the best luck with the buy now option and the buy now or make offer. And last Use paypal. Do not ever reply to mail from ebay or paypal the does not have your user name in the body. If it says dear ebay user or paypal user its a spoof to steal info. Me personally I use a prepaid debit to pay for purchase through paypal. It gives me a trial to follow if there is a porblem. With that Happy hunting.
Jeff Gray
n8rt

Here is and EMAIL From a SCAMMER

Post by n8rt »

Actually this person, sent me 3 Emails, all the same text , here is the Scammers Email address :

"DARNELL LOCKSLEY" <privatemailbox49@sify.com

I am sure the Scammers changes their Email address all the time, so do not answer these Scammers or get involved.

Here is the Message:

To:
mcyman@yahoo.com
HELLO DEAR...I HAPPEN TO COME ACROSS UR ADVERT ON WANTING TO
BUY THE AFOREMENTIONED ITEM.IT MIGHT INTEREST YOU TO KNOW THAT I HAVE THE
REQUESTED ITEM FOR SALE IN PARTS OR COMPLETE.WHY NOT GIVE ME A SWIFT RESPONSE
WHY OFFER LAST FOR THERE ARE OTHER PROSPECTIVE BIDDERS VYING FOR THE SAME
ITEM.SO LEAVE ME A NOTE TO SIGNIFY INTEREST.THANKS

Tip offs that the Email is a Scam , are WORDS Like:
DEAR, I have the requested item, Swift response, poor English!

Be Careful Selling/trading, these Scammers are out there just waiting to nail you!

ROB N8RT
KA9MOT

Post by KA9MOT »

The win crazy bidders are bad enough. Get a load of the inflated shipping costs, especially on Buy-IT NOW items.

I was going to purchase a new set of headlight assemblies for my old Ford Truck. These are plastic and probably don't weigh more than 2 pounds each. Shipping would have cost me $44 from California........
Bear

Ebay Fixed

Post by Bear »

You really have to wonder about it when a item is listed for what would be a high price, probably the most it would be worth. A few minuets later someone had placed that bid., while another item exactly like it in better condition has been on sale for days and has not had a single bid.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Can't speak for a lot of the buyers but yes whether on E bay or a local auction there is that i'm going to beat you out mentality. What all have failed to mention that E bay it's self is also driving costs with there increases in charges. I sold a radio on there a few weeks back that with all their charges cost me almost 13%. That is a far cry from there early days when all cost were at best 5% but that was before pay pal. I always try to sell when selling on QTH or E Ham and only sell on E Bay when all else fails to get results.
Larry Huff K0pd
shaggy_24740

Price isn't right.

Post by shaggy_24740 »

I looked at some used ham gear on EBAY today, I haven't been there in a long time. The difference isn't offset enought to take a chance, so why not buy new?
I just bought a brand new VR7 quad band for $299 and could have sent it back ,, and I have an owners guarantee that I sent into Yaesu. On ebay they have one for $400 and all I get is John 3:16.
EBAY Sucks, PAY PAL is a rip off. buy new and stay happy. :D
If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck ,Its a Duck