New Scam

Discussion of ways to help ensure a safe trade, so you don't get ripped-off. Do not discuss individuals here. Use the Feedback Forum instead.
sparkchaser

New Scam

Post by sparkchaser »

My recent experience may be a new scam. Has anyone else run into this.

This individual put a popular radio with some accessories on QTH for sale. I responded to his posting, and we exchanged several emails over several days. He sent me a picture of the "whole package" that I was buying. After several emails back and forth, we had about agreed on a price/trade deal. Then before accepting the deal, I asked for some more pictures up close showing the radio on, and back and side photos. Suddenly he disappeared. No more answered emails, in fact no more of him existed on the web pages. Now, I don't know the story from his side of the table, but it seemed the picture he originally sent was maybe copied from some place else. So I would send him the money, but he had no radio. If this is really the case, I haven't a clue. But it does lend some creditable reasoning to asking for photos of what your buying.
I won't post his call because I don't know for sure if this is what his intention was. I would suggest we all follow good habits and ask for photos of what your about to buy.

K4ICL

Why after the deal?

Post by K4ICL »

If he thought you had agreed to buy and then you asked from more photos he might have given up on whole thing in disgust. Perhaps he feels your making more demands after the deal was agreed to, from his perspective, would be a sure sign your not firm in your commitment and could cause him to waste more time with yet more demands.

Just wondering ...

K4ICL
WN8BOB

K3JSN/PICTURES

Post by WN8BOB »

The guy probably thought,in the end,there was NO way he was going to satisfy the picture request,MOST pictures,especially darker cabinets,DO NOT show cracks,hairline fractures,rubs,imperfections,etc,IF you are one to buy only "NEW" items,then don't expect this of a "Used" one,just from my years of experience,some people requests end up on the border of "Ridiculous"...WN8BOB
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

I don't see a problem asking for more pictures at any point of the transaction. If hundreds of dollars are at stake, new pic's could be the deciding factor for the buyer. If that is all that it would take for someone to pull the ad, quit the e-mails, etc, then it is probably for the best. If it smells bad, chances are it is bad. Go with your gut feeling. Pat N8QBY
lasernerd KE7VDP

Post by lasernerd KE7VDP »

I have sold some big ticket items here,a few marconi's,Agilents etc
And have been requested for more pictures,,no problem,,If that helps close the deal,,why not.

Oh and on a good note,,,I go in for my HAM test today!!! woooo hoooo
lasernerd KE7VDP

And passed! :D
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

It does seem strange that after requesting more pic's before the final decision that he suddenly ended all contact. Will not attempt to guess the reason why as there is just to many possibilities with a scam remotely being one. So i think you did right by not posting there call. And congrats Laser nerd and welcome to the Ham world and why not let us know what grade you came in at......
Larry Huff K0pd
lasernerd KE7VDP

Technician w/HF
next month I will give the General a shot.

Curious what does the w/HF stand for High Freq.?
I see they have Technician than Technician w/HF listed on the CSCE
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Even tho i am a VE but have not graded any one now for a few years i'm not 100% sure what tech/wHF is but i believe it is a replacement for the old Novice Class license and yes HF means High Frequency so i think it means you can use phone on 10 meter below 28.500 but like i said they have changed some of it. Tech means you can do VHF/uhf only ........
Larry Huff K0pd
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

It's a shame that we can't see the photo (or photos) in question. Maybe they were too blurry to be useful or taken from too great a distance to provide useful information.

IT'S UP TO THE SELLER TO MAKE HIS OR HER BUYER COMFORTABLE WITH THE DEAL!

JERRY

N9LCD
nova1010

Post by nova1010 »

lasernerd KE7VDP wrote: And have been requested for more pictures,,no problem,,If that helps close the deal,,why not.
I agree ,I have sold and traded many radios here and other forums,if the buyer wants more pictures I don't see a problem with that at all and I surely do not get affended by the request. 8)
Shawn(nova1010)
shaggy_24740

Re: New Scam

Post by shaggy_24740 »

sparkchaser wrote:My recent experience may be a new scam. Has anyone else run into this.

This individual put a popular radio with some accessories on QTH for sale. I responded to his posting, and we exchanged several emails over several days. He sent me a picture of the "whole package" that I was buying. After several emails back and forth, we had about agreed on a price/trade deal. Then before accepting the deal, I asked for some more pictures up close showing the radio on, and back and side photos. Suddenly he disappeared. No more answered emails, in fact no more of him existed on the web pages. Now, I don't know the story from his side of the table, but it seemed the picture he originally sent was maybe copied from some place else. So I would send him the money, but he had no radio. If this is really the case, I haven't a clue. But it does lend some creditable reasoning to asking for photos of what your buying.
I won't post his call because I don't know for sure if this is what his intention was. I would suggest we all follow good habits and ask for photos of what your about to buy.

That's not what the guy is after, He is breaking down your emails and finding your pass word, it's the best scam going.
Once they hack you, they don't do anything at that time, they use the same user name and pass word to try to see how many accounts you have with it, and when they get it all together they it you hard, I suggest you change your pass word "now" and make it fail safe on your banking and credit cards and all web sites you use it on.
I know you have gotten popups in your messages of people wanting to chat and coraspond with you, they do it all the time, it is the way most are getting hacked. You can breake down any Email and use the contents to get the pass word if you can get them to coraspond with you a few times.Notice the Address on this verry site it don't have https:// it has http:/ mening this site can hack your account if the web host sees fit.
Most sites have Host to prevent this, but stray email into your box after you have signed in isn't secure. :wink:
If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck ,Its a Duck
K4ICL

Huh?

Post by K4ICL »

That's not what the guy is after, He is breaking down your emails and finding your pass word, it's the best scam going.
Please explain how a hacker can get a password out of an email message sent to him. There are no passwords transmitted in the email files.

Just wondering...

K4ICL