What do you think is "mint" ?

Discussion of ways to help ensure a safe trade, so you don't get ripped-off. Do not discuss individuals here. Use the Feedback Forum instead.
n9vao

What do you think is "mint" ?

Post by n9vao »

I have seen many times something listed for sale as being "mint". I have also seen listings on the feed back forum where someone had a deal go bad because the seller said it was "mint condition" and the buyer said it was not.
Now to me the word mint means like right from the manufacturer, almost unused, not even dust on it. If I had a radio on my desk and used it for some time and got some finger prints or a smuge on it I could not call it mint. If it had no nicks or scratches I would maybe call it, perfect or excellent but not mint.
What do you think? What do you call mint?
K4ICL

Mint is a plant...

Post by K4ICL »

When providing the assessed condition of a piece of ham gear NEVER use the word "MINT".

The term "mint" refers to coins and the stamping of coins and other objects and has nothing to do with electronic or ham related equipment.

Also do not use the term "Perfect" as there is no such thing, even from the factory.

The best term that describes what most call "mint" is "EXCELLENT." The meaning is simple--the equipment is the same as new but has been used and is no longer under the control of a retailer or the factory. It has been used.

For a complete description of all terms needed to describe the condition of ham equipment you are invited to visit http://www.k4icl.com/gradescale.htm

Cheers,

AL
GERM37

Post by GERM37 »

HI GUYS,
I am so glad to finally see someone who thinks as I do about the listing of mint rigs,I get so tired of seeing rigs listed as mint that are sometimes 8 to 10 years old.
KEEP up the good post's.
RAY
SHERMAN.