What's Happened to Honesty among us???

Discussion of ways to help ensure a safe trade, so you don't get ripped-off. Do not discuss individuals here. Use the Feedback Forum instead.
w4cdi

What's Happened to Honesty among us???

Post by w4cdi »

What’s happing in Ham Radio these days, Where has honesty amount hams gone. I’ve been in this hobby for 50yrs. and it appears trust among us is getting worst. My latest dealing is with W9YQ Tom Manthel, Odenville, Al. Ph 214 728 7248. Bought an Amp from him. got home turned it on and it blew fuse. Checked out and found 1 shorted filter cap, 2 leaking. called Tom told him about the problem. advised him it would take about $70 to correct. would u be willing to pick up $30 on repairs. He agreed. Called 3 times e-mail 4 times no response. It’s not the $30, It’s the dishonesty that burns me. W4CDI Doug :twisted:
K4ICL

Re: What's Happened to Honesty among us???

Post by K4ICL »

Doug:

Is it possible Tom is incapacitated in some way, (out of town, ill, etc.) and has a valid reason for not contacting you? If you are unable to contact him is one thing. To assume he is dishonest without you hearing him tell you he would not honer his commitment is another. Maybe some additional details would be helpful to your readers.

Cheers,
AL
K4ICL
Sal

Post by Sal »

I fully understand what your saying and also agree, It's really sad and it's just not the same out there as it used to be, I've been a ham for 22 years. I also just listed my first item here on QTH.Com and after reading all of the scam alerts I will wonder if someone says that they want to buy my item will it be a scam artist looking to cheat me out of my equipment with some kind of money scheme.
tim00

Post by tim00 »

Yes I've wondered where the honesty has went, I just got ripped off by a fellow ham. I could of bought the same item from EBAY, but I thought they were honest on here because we are all hams, I guess the money has over rode that. KE4QCO
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

Thinking that somebody is honest just because "we are all hams" leads to something called "Affinity Fraud" practiced by Ponzi & Madoff.

As to what happened to honesty among us, was there really ever that "honesty" or are we just looking back on the bygone days with rose-colored glasses?

I used to patronize the Chicago area fests well into the mid 90's and the feces of the male bovine were just as deep there as they are on today's swap & chat boards. A few examples: a rusty lump of metal purportedly recovered from the wreck of the USS Arizona; a National receiver purportedly used by Harry Hopkins in the White House to monitor overseas activities; RS-111C's purportedly used to monitor the Watergate bug;d.i.y. KWM-380's & HF-380's made out of surplus parts after Collins discontinued production
kristina

Post by kristina »

It's truly tragic and it's quite recently not the same out there as it used to be, I've been a ham for a long time. I additionally simply recorded my first thing here on QTH.Com and in the wake of perusing the majority of the trick alarms I will think about whether somebody says that they need to purchase my thing will it be a trick craftsman hoping to cheat me out of my hardware with some sort of cash plot.
ah7i

Post by ah7i »

Paypal is winning. They have y'all brainwashed. "Don't trust anyone! We'll do it for you." They get 3% of the money coming and another 3% going!

9/10 scams are not hams.

Do not send radio or money to any address other than the address the FCC has listed for the person you are dealing with.

Of the 1/10 that are hams, the majority have legitimate reasons for hiccups. One European ham I sent a bunch of stuff to was the victim of a hit and run while on his bicycle and in a coma for three months. I did not find out until he sent an email apology for being out of touch. Was I worried? Not much because it was so out of character for him. I did have one dealing with a ham who was paranoid abut the USPS money order I sent him and wanted to "wait for it to clear". I had to explain that the USPS would give him cash and he could pick it up when he dropped off the geegaw I bought at the local pack and ship. Local pack and ship is great. You pay the shipping and tell them how you want it packed all with a credit card on line. If there is a problem and insurance is invoked, you are the shipper and do not have to depend on someone else understanding how to properly file a claim.

The biggest problem I've had dealing with hams is failure to disclose flaws. I blame myself in almost all cases, for failing to ask the right questions. If I'm buying a transceiver from a CW op....he may never have tried it on phone! Photos are best because "like new, back up rig, only used when the XYL was out having an affair" might be his yacht radio and all rusty inside. Until you and he take a look/photo, no one will know.

Quit frettin and have fun.

FCC database:
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSear ... icense.jsp

73, -Bob ah7i/w4
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

Here's a twist...bought something off a Wayne Skaggs off Escam. Stated, item worked good but posting as parts or repair (caveat for parts swappers). When I asked in my payment message to pack it properly and item to be operational upon receipt, he promptly cancelled the transaction, obviously, unable to stand behind his "works good" statement, meaning, likely never tested it, etc. Doesn't bother me, but really getting tired of Sellers that hide behind that BS phrase just to try and get out of refunding monies when a buyer gets a pile of busted junk. Happens on here, happens on Escam too....

Like walking in a mine field with some of these losers...
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

"WORKS GOOD"!

Hams are just like gas company workers; they become 'immune" to the flaws/defects in their gear just like gas company workers become immune to the smell of gas and use gas detectors to locate leaks.

We've been through it with a house to the tune of about $35,000. The trick would have been proving that the sellers knew that the air conditioning wasn't properly and misrepresented its condition at closing!
AB2NP

Post by AB2NP »

I know how it feels to be scammed online. It is almost like you're not a real Ham till you've been scammed a couple of times or burned up at least one radio. What I'm shocked by is the prices. Some people want retail for their used equipment. I just want to get some of my money back like a garage sale. I've also have been scammed by buyers online. I've sold books on Amazon and refunded money to customers that didn't send me back the goods I sold them. Some have unrealistic expectations too. For instance if you bought a BTECH from me don't expect to perform like a $400 Kenwood. I will always attempt to make things right and any Ham should do the same.