Is there any way to sell without FCC registration?

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
DaughterofAB4S

Is there any way to sell without FCC registration?

Post by DaughterofAB4S »

Hello. My name is Elizabeth Stephenson, the daughter of Silent Key, Ed Stephenson (AB4S). My father left me his gear and I am wanting to sell some of the pieces. I read that I am not allowed to sell amps, etc., here without FCC registration. I was wondering if there was any way to apply for permission to sell as a non-HAM?

Thank you for your consideration.

Elizabeth - ecstephenson@gmail.com
Daughter of AB4S: Ed Stephenson
K4ICL

Yes, there is a way.

Post by K4ICL »

Elizabeth:

I am sorry to hear of the loss of you dad. Please accept our collective condolences.

As a non ham, you may sell transmitting devices so long as it is made clear in your ads that your are selling your dad's gear and include his callsign in the ad.

Respectfully,

K4ICL
AL
Last edited by K4ICL on Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaughterofAB4S

Post by DaughterofAB4S »

Thank you, Al (K4ICL)

I very much appreciate that. I do want to say that I intend to post these items on eBay and Craigslist, too. I don't know very much about selling HAM equipment, but I know my Father would want them to be sold to people who would actually appreciate them. *I* can say that I don't want to sell to someone who is just a collector and would't appreciate the time and effort he put in with his HAM gear. It was his favorite thing in his life and I grew up with it. I would not be selling the rest of his gear ( his HAM buddies came to the house and took the main selling items to local HAMfests, just after his death), but my Mother is in poor health, now; I am stuck selling them.

Anyone who wants to research him, he was treasurer, President and VC of the local ARRL chapter (Cary, NC), over his years. He was the main fellow to teach Morse code, when it was still required. I've been on many fox hunts with him and it was his dream that I follow in his footsteps and be a HAM, too. I fully intend to do this. I just don't want to come into it under the slack standards that he lamented so much. I want to be tested in full Morse code, etc.

Thank you for allowing me to post his equipment here and I hope that people will find something they are interested in and not be angry that I'm posting it in other places. I don't understand why that's seen as a bad thing if our families need the money to pay bills. I guess this isn't a poor man's hobby, though.

Again, thank you -

- Elizabeth Stephenson (daughter of Silent Key, Ed Stephenson - AB4S)
Daughter of AB4S: Ed Stephenson
amychuang

a

Post by amychuang »

Appreciate the info, it’s good to know.
K3DC

Post by K3DC »

Elizabeth, let me begin by adding my condolences on the loss of your father; you obviously were close to him. While you may need to sell most of his equipment, it might be a good idea to hold on to at least some of it for your own use, since you obviously want to get your own license.

I'd like to encourage you to get your license, and sooner rather than later. It doesn't matter that the standards have been, shall we say, 'relaxed' a bit- all the old traditions are still here among those who choose to observe them, and I believe you'll find most Hams a welcoming group. There are probably several of your dad's old friends who would be glad to act as your Elmer, and help you along the path. Besides, if you DO get your Extra, you could ask for your dad's callsign- it's held for several years before becoming available for reissue, and family members who qualify have priority on asking for it

As for Morse code, it's very much alive and well- it's just OPTIONAL; just fire up one of those receivers and listen, and you'll see what I mean. It may not be a part of the TEST any more, but many of us still use it regularly. For information about CW operation, I'd suggest checking out an organization called "FISTS" at http://www.fists.org/.

Many of our members spend time in the Novice/Technician band segments, working with and encouraging newcomers who are trying to gain proficiency in the Code. Personally I "let my fingers do the talking," and do almost all my on-air time on CW.

If you DO get your license, maybe I'll have the pleasure of working you on CW some day; I'm always willing to go as slow as necessary, and age has taught me patience. Whatever you do, I wish you GOOD LUCK.

73, Bill K3DC (Fists * 1902)