Tire Kickers

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
KA9MOT

Tire Kickers

Post by KA9MOT »

I see allot of references to "Tire Kickers" and how bad they are.

I don't mind them at all. I want my buyers to be completely confident and comfortable with the deal and with what they are buying.

Ask a few more questions, Take a few pictures.....I don't mind at all. And if somebody comes along with the funds while they are still "kicking Tires" then it gets sold to the guy with the cash in hand. A simple email to my "Tire Kickers" that the item has sold and that is all she wrote.......

Some of the "Tire Kickers" get mad when you sell something out from under them but that is the danger they face. Money Talks, BS Walks!
Steve - KA9MOT
N9LCD

ON THE OTHER HAND...

Post by N9LCD »

There's the buyers who expect instant responses and immediate shipping!

I had one jerk tell me "I emailed you a hour ago and you still haven't answered. What's a matter?"

And it was something that every ham just has to have -- a pair of used, untested 808 transmitting triodes!!!

N9LCD

:roll:
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

FWIW - I guess I am a "Tire Kicker!" My last three purchases (last being a Yaesu FT-747GX) involved a number of questions and photograph exchanges. So, I would like to apologize for all us "Tire Kickers." If the item is sold while I am "Tire Kicking" - I would totally understand - that is the risk we all take.
kd4lyh

Post by kd4lyh »

I welcome "Tire Kickers" . In fact Id rather have someone be sure its what they wanted. I prefer a pick-up as some can see and try before one buys. If I ever have equipment for sale ask away!!!!
w0bkr

Personally...

Post by w0bkr »

IMHO, I don't care much for individuals that waste my time, that truth were known, they have no money to buy anything to start with but communicate to me, can I send more pics, seriously interested, only to never hear a peep again. What a waste of time. If I for one, am interested, I will ask the seller for some additional info and since I already know the asking price, either ask if they might consider an alternate amount or go for it. I know up front if I can afford the item, so it is a matter of being sincere about wanting it or being able to purchase it.

You can ask questions of me, any time, but don't tell me "I am seriously interested in buying it" and never hear back. Please, don't waste my time. Do your homework up front and THEN, ask appropriate questions.
w0bkr

Example

Post by w0bkr »

Well,. this it timely. I posted an item for sale, had like 8 guys e-mail me, "I am really interested, can you send addl pics",. etc.

Well, go thru all the trouble to pull the item out, get some pics, down load them, email them, and NADA. No response, no "thanks, got them, will look at them", nothing....

Think I will pull my postings and go to Ebay. Hi.
K4ICL

Just curious...

Post by K4ICL »

Well,. this it timely. I posted an item for sale, had like 8 guys e-mail me, "I am really interested, can you send addl pics",. etc.
Where did you post it?

Cheers,
K4ICL
w0bkr

Usual swap boards

Post by w0bkr »

Usual swap boards. I listed a DSP unit and a guy comes back and states, "Would like to purchase it". I tell him, fine, send to my address on file and the next email , are you negotitiable...man, what is why these characters.

Then he comes back after he already told me he wanted to purchase it, and offered like $10 less and no shipping. I said, uh, no. move on.

What a loser. Either read the post, offer a price up front or go on Ebay and buy something for more.

About ready to delete my postings and just keep the items or put on Ebay. One guy has emailed me like 10 times over $20. Just not worth it. Of course, neither likely has the funds to start with or didn't check with mother first. Gotta love i.
N8VZL

Re: Tire Kickers

Post by N8VZL »

I recently had someone ask me to reduce my buyit now on ebay and he'd be waiting and do it, lol I lowered it and a yl beat him to it and bought the product.
[̲̅7̲̅][̲̅3̲̅] [̲̅d̲̅][̲̅e̲̅] [̲̅N̲̅][̲̅8̲̅][̲̅V̲̅][̲̅Z̲̅][̲̅L̲̅]
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

Well, I have to admit, dealing with individuals that don't have the money, can't make up their mind, or just like to jerk people around is a bit annoying. I had a recent LID contact me about a swap, sent me pics, which I doubt were really of the item he owned, but I told him I would swap, packed up part of the equipment, held the one item for the shipping service to pack and ship since it is heavy.

Then, the silence starts. No answers to emails asking what their intention is, etc. Why do LIDS do that? If you change you mind, decide not too, is it that hard to pass that along? I just don't get the ignorance and lack of decency with some of these LIDS out there.

I don't lose sleep if a transaction doesn't happen, I can keep my gear all day long just fine. I just don't appreciate disconnecting everything, boxing it or some of it up, getting things ready to ship and then the other party just disappears....
sometimes I think it may be a high jacked call, someone trying to get your stuff or your money, but sometimes, it is hard to tell.

I can tell an honest individual up front. They pass along their phone number, you talk, and repeatedly, stay in touch, none of this mysterious crap.

Well the baby on the east coast was my last encounter doing this. Next time, will just sell something outright on Ebay or Craigslist and purchase something from a dealer. This LIDs are just not worth the key strokes to type a message asking where things stand....what a waste of time...

When I look into who some of these folks are, I slap myself...I should have known better knowing what I know about them after more digging...
WA1KBQ

Post by WA1KBQ »

I've experienced the same thing with wanted ads. I have a fairly extensive collection of nice stuff that I am in the process of downsizing and have responded to several want ads so far. Often get a reply back with a request for more info, we exchange several emails with pictures and description and the usual result, they eventually say no thanks. My guess is they must be looking for above average condition for a below average price. I've decided not to respond anymore. We all know where to sell things where they'll have new owners a week later so there's no good reason to waste time on tire kickers.

Regards, Greg
wz3o

Post by wz3o »

WA1KBQ wrote:I've experienced the same thing with wanted ads. I have a fairly extensive collection of nice stuff that I am in the process of downsizing and have responded to several want ads so far. Often get a reply back with a request for more info, we exchange several emails with pictures and description and the usual result, they eventually say no thanks. My guess is they must be looking for above average condition for a below average price. I've decided not to respond anymore. We all know where to sell things where they'll have new owners a week later so there's no good reason to waste time on tire kickers.

Regards, Greg
I stopped placing or reading wanted ads ...just a scammers paradise...IMHO :shock:
k8cpa

Re: ON THE OTHER HAND...

Post by k8cpa »

N9LCD wrote:There's the buyers who expect instant responses and immediate shipping!

I had one jerk tell me "I emailed you a hour ago and you still haven't answered. What's a matter?"

And it was something that every ham just has to have -- a pair of used, untested 808 transmitting triodes!!!

N9LCD

I know the feeling. Back in 2005, I had someone wanting to buy my PK-232MBX (old one) and PK-900 (also a bit old...). I was working at the time. I tried to explain that I would ship it Friday or when I could get off early. Jerk off screamed at me to ship it right this second! :roll:

I sent him his money back. His call is W0IPL He got in here too and started his crap. :x

I still have that pk-232mbx and pk-900. I'd like to sell them; I won't get hardly nothing for them, as they're old. But, I won't sell to a-holes like that! :x
-Chuck Adkins K8CPA
Blog: http://www.k8cpa.com
Other Political Blog: Http://www.thoughtsandrantings.com
KC8VWM

Post by KC8VWM »

Here's the deal...

When you are selling something, be prepared to deal with inquiries from people.

Also do not become offended by sale negotiations. To be specific, this includes an offer placed on the table other than what you originally requested for the item. This is not unusual, in fact it should be expected, so don't be alarmed, stressed, or become emotionally distraught if this should occur to you if you are selling something. You would think reading some of the responses people are posting here seems to suggest someone doing this would be considered as highly inappropriate behavior or something. Well here's a news flash.. it' isn't!

Also In case you didn't know, "tire kickers" are people with inquiries about your product. This means they are your potential customers and not jerks who are merely wasting your time.

This also happens in the business world every single day. It's part of the process. People showing an interest in what you are selling (ie. tire kickers) is a good thing regardless if they actually buy anything from you or not.

Remember, your job as a seller is to actually sell it to them. Don't sit back and expect the buyer to purchase it from you without making any effort on your part to "sell it" to them. If you are a seller, then act like you are a seller. Be proactive with the potential buyer. Many "tire kickers" result simply because sellers are not conducting themselves as sellers. After all, it's not the potential buyers fault if a seller is lethargic in their response or approach, and the potential buyer suddenly disappears and decides to look elsewhere instead.

Believe it or not, not every single person who makes an inquiry and sends you an email about what you are selling, is actually going to purchase your product from you either. Again, don't be offended or become emotionally unsettled by this activity either. I can assure you this is also quite normal to occur. Deal with it, put your big boy pants on, and stop whining about it already.

That is all.
w9dp

Post by w9dp »

If you want to list your item for sale in a public venue, you will get tire kickers, just a plain and simple fact of life.

The fact others ask for more information mean they are interested enough to ask. It also may mean the seller did not supply enough information. Stop and think about it, almost everyone that buys something through a Swap page is not only buying site unseen, but have to pay in full and then hope to receive what they expected. Buyers will not buy an item unless it meets their criteria, many times the information they require is not listed and they have to ask. Once they receive the information they have to decide to pursue it further or to go on looking.

I ignore adds where it is obvious the seller does not really want to sell the item listed.

Danny NG9R
KB3MXU

Post by KB3MXU »

Sellers are awful too. Here is my story from this week. Guy had 2 identical items for sale. 1 listed as sold to a listed person. 2nd was unsold.
I emailed that I would buy immediately.
No return email, no nothing.
Next day sold to a certain other listed n the ad.
Seller couldn't just shout out already sold. No response. Got his buyer and ignored the rest.
No different than other bad buyers in my mind.
n5wrx

Post by n5wrx »

My favorite is someone asking "what is your lowest price" with out ever even seeing or calling and talking about what is offered for sale.
I dont even bother to respond to anyone asking that.
Or the low ball offer sent by text or email ... again ... goodby.
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

I like the ones that post a WTB and you respond with the item they are looking for and they never respond.
Well, are you too lazy to delete that old posting, want that item for little to nothing, what exactly? I don't understand the inability to either update a WTB posting (no longer needed, found one, etc.) or just plain delete it altogether. Is it that much "work"?

No skin off my back and don't care but sure seems odd to me to state you are looking for something and then not want it. LOL
NK7Z

Post by NK7Z »

KC8VWM wrote:Here's the deal...

When you are selling something, be prepared to deal with inquiries from people...
Finally, someone that seems sane here...

Sellers, if you are selling something, you are going to get people who want more photos, you are going to get people who want more info, and you are going to run into impolite potential purchasers... It is the cost of doing business, if you can't get used to that get out, or take your product to eBay...

Sellers have a bundle of tricks to hide actual conditions of equipment beyond simply lying about it. Here is an example, I just bought an SDR that had the USB plug broken off the PC board, inside the case... Oddly the USB cable which should have been included was not, (so it did not happen in shipping), and the cables that were shown, and stated as included were not there either. I then looked back at the photo of the device, and the plugged in USB cable was at an angle... Looked like the plug was gone then... I sent the seller a message to that effect, with photos, etc., and got an instant refund... I also had paid via Paypal...

Here are some of the seller tricks for hiding issues:
  • Dark photos
    Out of focus photos
    Lying
    Photos of other items than the ones being sold
    Not showing broken parts of an item
    Missing items inside
    Broken items inside
    etc.
Tire kickers are here for a reason... Hell, it is so bad QRZ.COM has a ruleset a page long to keep the sellers in check... Tire kickers are good, yes some are a pain, but one of them will buy your product... Honestly, I would not want to buy from anyone that calls me a name because I have a few questions about an item...
73's and thanks,
For equipment reviews and setups see:
http://www.nk7z.net
Ku4ws

Post by Ku4ws »

There a lots of good guy on here that are interested in buying what you have for sale. Then you got the tire kickers that ask question and for picture if the item. So I take the time to answer the question take more pictures like they wanted. Then you can tell they were just tire kicking no answer no thanks for you time to answer the question and send me pictures I asked for. Then they ask what your bottom dollar I take the time to give my bottom dollar and again no answer back. I don't like tire kicker they are just a waste of time if you can not a afford the item leave me alone. I have others on here that have bought from me and I buy from others on here. If I am selling I not looking to waste my time on tire kickers.
Ku4ws

Re: Personally...

Post by Ku4ws »

w0bkr wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:40 pm IMHO, I don't care much for individuals that waste my time, that truth were known, they have no money to buy anything to start with but communicate to me, can I send more pics, seriously interested, only to never hear a peep again. What a waste of time. If I for one, am interested, I will ask the seller for some additional info and since I already know the asking price, either ask if they might consider an alternate amount or go for it. I know up front if I can afford the item, so it is a matter of being sincere about wanting it or being able to purchase it.

You can ask questions of me, any time, but don't tell me "I am seriously interested in buying it" and never hear back. Please, don't waste my time. Do your homework up front and THEN, ask appropriate questions.
I agree with you they are so many tire kicker on here all they want to do is waste time knowing they can not afford it. you go through the time to answer them and send picture and then nothing.
I have thing for sale and I will get 3 or 4 a week that waste my time.
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

Here's one that I continually seem to run into when folks respond to my occassional for sale posts on QTH.

First, they are hot to trot to get an item. I provide plenty of data (filling up the posting word/character limit with as much detail as warranted), informing folks if you have questions, need additional pics, etc. just let me know. I stand and always have stood behind each and every item I have ever parted with 100%. Never once did anyone receive an item from me "not as described". Never once did I have to take "care of an issue". What I post, is 100% truthful. Also, I don't do PP as too many individuals off these swap boards will purchase an item, later either feeling guilty spending the funds without conferring with the XYL or are just too stupid/lazy to research the item's technical abilities, performance, user reviews, etc, and then balk about wanting to send it back under some BS excuse or lie.

I recently had another of these characters approach me, wanting my item, wanting to meet to exchange:

Bogus Buyer response: (Note: Not listing this guys call since I am not out of anything or any funds, just a total waste of my time, effort and the fact he was a pain in the ass).

Thank you for the pictures, X looks great. My cell is xxx, home is xxx. Would you be willing to meet somewhere convenient?

I responded sure and also:
BTW if you need to talk, you can reach me during the day xxx. You might pass along your number so I know who is calling, that is, if you are seriously interested...[/i]

Of course, he never called with any questions, started the typical back peddling either because really didn't have, want or obtain permission to part with the funds, makes comments about concerned about any recourse if there is a problem after the sale after handing my cash, etc. You know the routine. I am not in the habit of driving hours to hand carry an item, to take a piece of paper (i.e. check, MO, etc.) and just letting someone walk away with my item. More risk in that for me.

I am not a dealer. I don't have a bench or operating position that you can use to "try it out". If you are intelligent enough to tie your shoes, you should pre-sale understand/know what you are buying, needing, etc. Too much purchasing is knee jerk responses or individuals that "flip" equipment the following week. They send you an email "Will buy your item, will send funds this week, etc., etc." only you receive nothing, the individual vaporizes into thin air because they never really intended to let the money go or the infatuation waned.

Recently I had posted a like new item that I had a highly qualified shop go thru, insure to spec, etc., spending $600 including shipment two ways just to have the peace of mind that the item was per spec even though I never had an issue with it. Because it had been in storage, I felt I should do the right thing and have it gone over. I decided to let it go and honestly, at a loss to myself financially. I am realistic. I know I won't recover what I spent, what I have invested but it was time to let it go to a deserving op.

What do two individuals do if or when an unknown issue arises? Sure, no one trusts anyone anymore, and it that is the case, don't attempt to buy off a used radio website forum. You won't know the other person, you have no real guarantees. Sometimes you just need to instill some trust and step out. One reason I like a phone call or two, face to face, frequent communication. You work out those issues as normal adults should (perhaps that is the issue). I have never had an issue with anything I parted with but have had issues with less then as advertised items I purchased. I contact the seller and try to work it out and if I can't, mark it to life's experiences and put this guys call on my list to avoid in the future.

I knew this guy wasn't going to be totally honest and act with integrity because he is one of those tire kicking knee jerk "I want that" without thinking or obtaining permission to spend the funds. No loss to me, but a total waste of my time. I have elected to pull the posting and keep my item.

Many of us have been screwed both ways, as buyers and sellers. But in this hobby, where else will one find nice, clean as advertised gear? Not at a hamfest...Ebay is a roll of the dice, dealers aren't always 100% vested or up to speed on the item they sell either.

Please, if you can't step out and make a decision or be able to handle a possible problem as an adult with another individual, don't waste someone's time with BS "checks in the mail, will buy your item, seriously interested, blah blah blah" unless you are 100% before you hit the SEND key on that email, understand what you are implying to the other party and make a decision. Else, purchase something new from a dealer with a warranty if that is a 100% certain route to take. Don't waste and bother other folks with posts for used items for sale.

Tire kickers? No use for them. Dead beat buyers with no funding to start with, move along. Just be honest, have dialog FIRST, then make your commit to buy.
W9BHI

Post by W9BHI »

I hate when someone says "I'll buy it, Send me the total with shipping".
You send them the total and never hear back from them.
I send them an email asking if they still want it and never get back a reply.
These people are total buttholes.

Don W9BHI
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

My two favs are

Do you still have it, still available?

I answer politely and delete the email. They aren't buying or going to buy anything.

The second is:

Do you take PP (or USPS, etc.). I am seriously interested.

It is in the posting but I answer politely and delete the email. They aren't buying or going to buy anything.

I have had one guy answer like 3 posts thru the past year telling me he wants something for a senior center (??) and asks about MARS Mods, etc.
There are plenty of radios out there, and most of the mods are realitively easy to do. I tell him NO, I don't have nor do I do the MARS Mods any more and he goes on to tell me about my item, etc.

Just move on. I can't help you. I don't want out of band transmit to begin with and I am no longer in MARS either...

Guy is a flipper. Look up his call, long lists of items for sale/sold...
KC3HJP

Post by KC3HJP »

Ahh the Tire Kickers....

I feel like a lot of the Tire Kickers are just lonely people that need attention. They want to delegate additional tasks like picture taking and answering senseless questions just to have someone do something for them knowing that they have no interest but it gives them someone to interact with. Just like the guy that will quickly post "Price???" just after you post something when all the while the price is right in front of them. They don't even take the time to read the full ad but they feel like they have gigged you for not listing a price and again want you to do something for them knowing that they aren't interested. I've started posting, "Please re-read the ad slowly this time and you will see the price". That might be a little harsh but no more rude than they were trying to make you feel dumb like you didn't post the price. I do realize that some people forget to post the price but people posting "Price???" has become and epidemic all while the price is there.

I've started to sell stuff right out from under people becuase they will literally go back and forth with you for 45 minutes via email and eventually say, "I'll take it, send me your PayPal address". You immediately send them your PayPal address and it's like the internet came to an end. You hear nothing back from them. This is the guy that you instantly answered their questions and he fired back six more questions that were also instantly answered. I finally started posted in my ads, "sold to the first person that I receive a PayPal payment from".

I've noticed that one of the other selling boards will no longer let people post "email sent". In the past it seems like that was the Tire Kicker's way of stalling the listing to make others think that they have purchased your item. I reality they sent you an email that said, "Hey, I'll give you $500 plus shipping". Meanwhile you're selling an item for $1500 that was $3000 new.