"Resellers/business" listings on QTH!!!

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
KB3RPE

"Resellers/business" listings on QTH!!!

Post by KB3RPE »

I've got to believe Hams are a relatively smart bunch...but when I see long standing ads on QTH listing "accessories" E.G.: cables/color monitors, for Icom or other brands with "inflated reseller" prices & IMHO, with inflated claims about the items, as opposed to the same items elsewhere, I question?!?

I have to ask....are we hams actually doing our "homework" if we buy here as opposed to say Ebay (yes I said Ebay) or elsewhere, for the same item @ a better price. At least with "Ebay", you know you're dealing with a "business" and potentially have recourse & warranty...

Look I believe in the free enterprise system as much as the next guy ...but come on....if you want to "run a business" ..."pay the piper" go to "Ebay" ....

I leave it to diligent Hams to "scope out" their own purchases, but must say I'm rather dismayed that a true "Ham" would sell here as a "reseller" v/s the "swap meet" intent of QTH, QRZ, Eham Etal....

As always "Caveat Emptor".....

Standard Disclaimer :My 2¢, your millage may vary, objects are closer in the mirror....
KA9MOT

Post by KA9MOT »

I agree. Retailers and these folks who prey off of SK Hams families need to be paying for the advertising.

I disagree about eBay; Few sellers on eBay actually have anything resembling a store. eBay Store and Power Seller status tell you nothing about the seller. They might be a Ham Radio Superstore, a Pawn Shop, another Ham getting rid of some stuff, or the punk kid from down the street who stole your neighbors TV set last year.

Most Ham Radio equipment on eBay is overpriced with seriously inflated shipping. Often times used equipment sells for more then new. And really, what recourse do you have on your eBay purchase? Get eBay and PayPal involved, tie your funds up for weeks (sometimes months) and you still have to pay the shipping back.

QTH and QRZ among some others (not eHam, cuz eHam sucks) are wonderful places that we can use to sell and buy. My QTH Feedback means much more to me then all of my eBay feedback. eBay is the place to go for hard to find stuff.
Steve - KA9MOT
KB3RPE

???

Post by KB3RPE »

"I agree. Retailers and these folks who prey off of SK Hams families need to be paying for the advertising."

Not sure abt the SK reference, my original post didn't refernce such, but that's another issue needing addressed.

While I understand the reticence to go to Ebay, however on small items, like cables I've had great success with a seller (name withheld so no one thinks I have a vested interest) ... my main point was the “Hams" who have long standing "reseller" type ads here, at "retail" prices & with a "retail/reseller" “mentality”, should not be HERE!!!

Should you buy an item from them, unless stated otherwise, there're no returns/guarantees….(Oh & the two I see regularly make "grand" claims abt their “special product” but offer no buyer recourse)….

So, again Cavet Emptor, if you need an item, e.g.: "special/super calafragalistic" 7" external monitor for an Icom -7000 etc, go to RadioShack buy the 1/8' to RCA adaptor for a "buck" & buy the 7" LCD HDTV from a local retailer with a warranty!!!!

Read the instructions, hook up, make it work...SIMPLE....Should a "ham" not be able to hook it up to an ICOM-7000 & have it function ...maybe it's time to reconsider the hobby..... :lol:

My "101" buying tips are for the benefit of all here & are inteneded to shed light on those here who "skirt" the Spirit of the hobby & QTH..... :!:
KA9MOT

Re: ???

Post by KA9MOT »

KB3RPE wrote:"I agree. Retailers and these folks who prey off of SK Hams families need to be paying for the advertising."

Not sure abt the SK reference, my original post didn't refernce such, but that's another issue needing addressed.

While I understand the reticence to go to Ebay, however on small items, like cables I've had great success with a seller (name withheld so no one thinks I have a vested interest) ... my main point was the “Hams" who have long standing "reseller" type ads here, at "retail" prices & with a "retail/reseller" “mentality”, should not be HERE!!!

Should you buy an item from them, unless stated otherwise, there're no returns/guarantees….(Oh & the two I see regularly make "grand" claims abt their “special product” but offer no buyer recourse)….

So, again Cavet Emptor, if you need an item, e.g.: "special/super calafragalistic" 7" external monitor for an Icom -7000 etc, go to RadioShack buy the 1/8' to RCA adaptor for a "buck" & buy the 7" LCD HDTV from a local retailer with a warranty!!!!

Read the instructions, hook up, make it work...SIMPLE....Should a "ham" not be able to hook it up to an ICOM-7000 & have it function ...maybe it's time to reconsider the hobby..... :lol:

My "101" buying tips are for the benefit of all here & are inteneded to shed light on those here who "skirt" the Spirit of the hobby & QTH..... :!:
My reference to the SK Vultures is that there are several who post here that purchase the shack of a SK from the family for pennies on the dollar and then sell that equipment on eBay and these other "Swap Net" sites and email reflectors for top dollar. They make a tidy profit and you see these ads constantly. This is not a every once in a while thing. They always have an ad listed.

One of these guys was forced to place a statement in his signature by QRZ that he was not a retailer and was simply "helping" the families of SK's. He has 500 Ads, each with multiple items since 2007 on QRZ. He has 87 ads here on QTH.

I'm saying that if a Ham (or anybody else) makes a substantial profit from gear he does not own, then he is a business and should be paying for the advertisement. I'll bet he pays no taxes on this income either. I see he has not sent QRZ and money for providing a place for him to sell (He is listed as Ham Member) and I wonder if he has ever kicked a couple of bucks down to Scott to help with the costs of doing business here. I have.
Steve - KA9MOT
KB3RPE

Post by KB3RPE »

KA9MOT wrote:
KB3RPE wrote:"I agree. Retailers and these folks who prey off of SK Hams families need to be paying for the advertising."

My reference to the SK Vultures is that there are several who post here that purchase the shack of a SK from the family for pennies on the dollar and then sell that equipment on eBay and these other "Swap Net" sites and email reflectors for top dollar. They make a tidy profit and you see these ads constantly. This is not a every once in a while thing. They always have an ad listed.

One of these guys was forced to place a statement in his signature by QRZ that he was not a retailer and was simply "helping" the families of SK's. He has 500 Ads, each with multiple items since 2007 on QRZ. He has 87 ads here on QTH.

I'm saying that if a Ham (or anybody else) makes a substantial profit from gear he does not own, then he is a business and should be paying for the advertisement. I'll bet he pays no taxes on this income either. I see he has not sent QRZ and money for providing a place for him to sell (He is listed as Ham Member) and I wonder if he has ever kicked a couple of bucks down to Scott to help with the costs of doing business here. I have.

Got ya'....Agree Entirely!!!!....Give a donation?!!!! yeah right ?!?!?
"Taxes, we don't pay no stinkin' taxes" :wink:
K9XR

Post by K9XR »

Are you saying you know for a fact that the guy from Florida is not helping the SKs families? If that is what you are implying that is a pretty serious allegation.

Just out of curiosity where did you obtain this information? Inquiring minds want to know.

KA9MOT wrote:

KB3RPE

Post by KB3RPE »

OK, well leave me out of that part of the equation, my postings about resellers not "SK Vultures"...however, I agree it would be "rotten" & the AH needs his/her fingers slammed in a door, very hard ... that way they wouldn't be able to post anymore...No fingers ... no typing...HiHi
K9XR wrote:Are you saying you know for a fact that the guy from Florida is not helping the SKs families? If that is what you are implying that is a pretty serious allegation.

Just out of curiosity where did you obtain this information? Inquiring minds want to know.

KA9MOT wrote:

KA9MOT

Post by KA9MOT »

K9XR wrote:Are you saying you know for a fact that the guy from Florida is not helping the SKs families? If that is what you are implying that is a pretty serious allegation.

If he is he certainly knows allot of dead Hams.......and who said the guy from Florida? I didn't give any identifying information.

I'm not making any accusations beyond the fact that he is running a business at the expense of QRZ, QTH and others and denies doing so. He should pay for the advertisement. And there are others doing the same thing.
Steve - KA9MOT
K9XR

Post by K9XR »

As far as I know he is the only guy on QRZ.com with the disclaimer.

KA9MOT wrote:

If he is he certainly knows allot of dead Hams.......and who said the guy from Florida? I didn't give any identifying information.

I'm not making any accusations beyond the fact that he is running a business at the expense of QRZ, QTH and others and denies doing so. He should pay for the advertisement. And there are others doing the same thing.
K4ICL

It is a pretty simple system, really!

Post by K4ICL »

This is the Internet. You know, the place to buy and sell whatever you want to buy and sell.

You search for the stuff you want.
Then you decide if the price is what you want to pay.
If it is in your price range and it is what you want you buy it.

Just like Walmat but using the Internet instead.

If you don't like the price, don't buy it.
If you don't like the seller, don't buy it.
If you do line the looks of the item, don't buy it.
If you can find it at Walmart, don't buy it on the Internet.

So what's the beef?
KB3RPE

Re: It is a pretty simple system, really!

Post by KB3RPE »

K4ICL wrote:This is the Internet. You know, the place to buy and sell whatever you want to buy and sell.

You search for the stuff you want.
Then you decide if the price is what you want to pay.
If it is in your price range and it is what you want you buy it.

Just like Walmat but using the Internet instead.

If you don't like the price, don't buy it.
If you don't like the seller, don't buy it.
If you do line the looks of the item, don't buy it.
If you can find it at Walmart, don't buy it on the Internet.

So what's the beef?

I agree with your thoughts, however my original premise was & is about "Resellers/business" listings on QTH/QRZ/EHam etal.....
They don't belong here!!!!!! This is a "swap meet" not for business listings...No more no less...
K4ICL

What difference does it make?

Post by K4ICL »

I don't see that your distinction has merit.

If you don't like the product or the seller don't buy it.

If you don't like the business guys selling, don't buy from the business guys. But to say they don't belong here has no merit. This site IS for business guys AND non-business guys.

Do you see the banners on the top and bottom of the page? All business guys. If you don't like the guys with the banners, don't buy from them. That is your choice; but don't say they don't belong here. THEY ARE HELPING PAY FOR YOU TO HAVE A SITE TO USE!

'nuff said...
KB3RPE

HMMM...

Post by KB3RPE »

It appears you're missing my point completely as I'm referring to Free Ads ...Not paid banner ads etc....There are specific rules for listing in the classified Free ads ..but you're entitled to your opinion

'Nuff Said?
KA9MOT

Re: HMMM...

Post by KA9MOT »

KB3RPE wrote:It appears you're missing my point completely as I'm referring to Free Ads ...Not paid banner ads etc....There are specific rules for listing in the classified Free ads ..but you're entitled to your opinion

'Nuff Said?
DO you mean Rule Number 8 specifically?
The QTH.COM Classifieds system is available for non-commercial use only, unless prior permission is granted. Commercial is defined as anyone that manufactures or purchases a new product and offers that product for sale at a profit, or offers a pay-for service. If you meet this criteria, you should contact KA9FOX to receive permission to advertise, before placing an ad.
Steve - KA9MOT
KB3RPE

Post by KB3RPE »

KA9MOT wrote:
KB3RPE wrote:It appears you're missing my point completely as I'm referring to Free Ads ...Not paid banner ads etc....There are specific rules for listing in the classified Free ads ..but you're entitled to your opinion

'Nuff Said?
The QTH.COM Classifieds system is available for non-commercial use only, unless prior permission is granted. Commercial is defined as anyone that manufactures or purchases a new product and offers that product for sale at a profit, or offers a pay-for service. If you meet this criteria, you should contact KA9FOX to receive permission to advertise, before placing an ad.
That would be the one.......
K9XR

Post by K9XR »

Do you think maybe there is a chance that these "resellers" have contacted Scott and have a business arrangement?

KB3RPE wrote:
KA9MOT wrote:

'Nuff Said?
KB3RPE

Post by KB3RPE »

Don't know, but wouldn't it be wise to indicate said "arrangement" in ads, I.E.: "Full disclosure"?!?

Regardless, it 's a "shame' when it appears hams are attempting to "take advantage" of other hams...

OK, I'm out, can't spend anymore time on this, there are no "correct answers" to an/my opinion.....said my 2¢, now moving on.....
K9XR wrote:Do you think maybe there is a chance that these "resellers" have contacted Scott and have a business arrangement?

KB3RPE wrote:
KA9MOT wrote: DO you mean Rule Number 8 specifically?