W3SIX - PayPal Personal

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
w3six

W3SIX - PayPal Personal

Post by w3six »

QTH said my comments belong here, not on the classifieds pages.
I wanted to pass along my thoughts about "PayPal Personal" payments.
Sometimes we see sellers asking buyers to use PayPal's
"Personal Payment" option.

This is a way for the seller to reduce or totally avoid the PayPal fees.
The "Personal Payment" option is a service provided by PayPal to
allow you to send money to friends or family and was not intended for
commercial use. It's all well and good for the seller to want to require
the buyer to use this payment option; we all want to save money.
The problem is if anything goes wrong with the transaction, the buyer
can have a problem. He can't dispute the payment with PayPal,
because in PayPal's eyes no goods were part of the transaction.
I won't do a transaction where the seller asks for a Personal Payment.

I wouldn't ask a buyer to do this nor would I ask the buyer to "add 3%"
or whatever amount to cover my sellers fees. Frankly I build in the cost
of PayPal, but also give the option of paying by USPS MO, or personal
check - You should hold these until they clear the bank - before shipping.
And always let your buyer know this.
We all know PayPal charges fees. Deal with it. It's part of the cost of
doing business. Let's all be upfront, price our goods fairly, allowing for all
our costs. Always try to make both the buyer and seller (or both traders)
happy about the deal. 73, Ed
After age 70, it's all maintenance.
KB3RPE

PayPal Personal

Post by KB3RPE »

I sell here & other Ham sites occasionally, & on a larger item really don't want to get SLAMMED a 3% +/_ fee, and feel it would not be fair to build in the fee if someone wants to use USPS MO?........Not sure how PayPal dispute resolution works if you show "Personal" "Payment Owed" OPTION ...Still no fees ...??
Also, I wonder just how much help the USPS would be if MO sent & item bought is in dispute/'unacceptable" **** My 2¢, "food for thought" in addition to your reticence ****** :?:
KB3RPE

Re: PayPal Personal

Post by KB3RPE »

KB3RPE wrote:I sell here & other Ham sites occasionally, & on a larger item really don't want to get SLAMMED a 3% +/_ fee, and feel it would not be fair to build in the fee if someone wants to use USPS MO?........Not sure how PayPal dispute resolution works if you show "Personal" "Payment Owed" OPTION ...Still no fees ...??
Also, I wonder just how much help the USPS would be if MO sent & item bought is in dispute/'unacceptable" **** My 2¢, "food for thought" in addition to your reticence ****** :?:
OK, after long hold times with PP .....there is absolutely no "Dispute Resolution' when using "Personal" pay of any 'flavor"......., So I suppose if your concerns are such...then don't buy with PP personal...
******************* btw USPS MO "CUSTOMER SERVICE" essentially the same as sending $100 bills ...so there appears to be no "dispute resolution " there either...........
I guess I won't Buy/Sell anything unless it's in person, tested completely with payment by $20 bills i use the counterfeit 'pen" on....HiHi

******* My 2¢ **********************
:?
shaggy_24740

Re: PayPal Personal

Post by shaggy_24740 »

KB3RPE wrote:I sell here & other Ham sites occasionally, & on a larger item really don't want to get SLAMMED a 3% +/_ fee, and feel it would not be fair to build in the fee if someone wants to use USPS MO?........Not sure how PayPal dispute resolution works if you show "Personal" "Payment Owed" OPTION ...Still no fees ...??
The best way to keep from getting zapped is go pick the item up, and do it in a place where you won't get rolled, and try it out, and tell the guy you intend to make sure it works. There is a store near you where you can buy this equipment or a ham fest or a trading journal, and the 2 hour drive if needed isn't at all bad considering you get to look at what you're buying. Ive had hams come to my house plum from Illinois to say hello, thats about 12 hour drive on their way to a fest to buy radios.. Ive met them at Walmart parking lots to let them see the Radios and equipment.
If you want to make sure, go pick it up.
If the guy pulls up in a truck or car with slick tires and the brakes squeaking and the fenders held on with duck tape and a striped throat from drinking all night, say No I'm here to see another guy I'm not the one you're looking for. :D
If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck ,Its a Duck
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Paypal has worked very well for me . Both as a seller and as a buyer, the paypal protection as a buyer and the goodwill generated as a seller. I have no problem allowing Paypal to collect their well earned fees.
OK, So where are the filters now ?
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

I agree with KG8LB as Pay pal has saved my money spent on items a couple of times.Both were scams. The thing most i think fail to realize or take into consideration is with pay pal you have a record of transaction if needed for other reasons. And my final thoughts is all business are hoping to make a profit and Pay Pal is no different and i can guarantee you there 3% is less than most businesses make and earn on a transaction.
Larry Huff K0pd
K1GIG

more re paypal

Post by K1GIG »

Neither lying or stealing is gonna make your new rig work better. So just dont do it. Pay the fee and be thankful that you can.
NR7J

Good luck to all the sellers using Paypal. Scary but true.

Post by NR7J »

Good luck to all the sellers using Paypal.

e.g.

1) Seller sends a radio to the Buyer.
2) Buyer removes parts (final-knobs-etc.) or just blows up the radio.
3) Buyer files claim with Paypal.
4) Seller gets his broken radio back and the Buyer gets his refund.

Sooner or later it will happen to you.
K4ICL

What's the beef?

Post by K4ICL »

Seems to me:

PayPal is what it is.

If you like PayPal, use PayPal.

If you don't like PayPal, don't use PayPal.

AL