Just when I think I understand how this works

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
n8cbc

Just when I think I understand how this works

Post by n8cbc »

Guys, I'm kind of a newbie, I guess. I've only been doing this internet swapping stuff for 18 years. I thought I figured out just about everything. But today I was sitting back on my haunches reading the ads and whammo!!!

I read a ad that says, "Payment by Paypal only!" Now I admit, I don't like Paypal, or EBay for that matter, but I always figured, to each his own, if someone wanted to do the Paypal thingy, it doesn't hurt me.
But someone tell me what the advantage is to specify "PAYPAL ONLY", doesn't that narrow down the available buyers?
What's wrong with USPS Money Orders? I've been buying with Postal Money Orders all these years, and to best of my knowledge, every money order I sent must have been good, cause I never had a complaint.

So would someone explain this to me, I'm old, but not to old to learn.
Last edited by n8cbc on Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
kg8lb

Re: Just when I think I understand how this works

Post by kg8lb »

n8cbc wrote:Guys, I'm kind of a newbie, I guess. I've only been doing this internet swapping stuff for 18 years. I thought I figured out just about everything. But today I was sitting back on my haunches reading the ads and whammo!!!

I read a ad that says, "Payment by Paypal only!" Now I admit, I don't like Paypal, or EBay for that matter, but I always figured, to each his own, if someone wanted to do the Paypal thingy, it doesn't hurt me.
But someone tell me what the advantage is to specify "PAYPAL ONLY", doesn't that narrow down the available buyers?
What's wrong with USPS Money Orders? I've been buying with Postal Money Orders all these years, and to best of my knowledge, every money order I sent must have been good, cause I never had a complaint.

So would someone explain this to me, I'm old, but not to old to learn.
There are many reasons for preferring Paypal as a seller. A primary one is the old "Check is in the mail" syndrome. Would be buyers with insufficient funding swear they sent the money. Of course in the meantime the seller turns down 3 other real buyers, perhaps even a few able and willing to use Paypal. Time drags on , excuses flow ....

No doubt , later the seller finds a real buyer. At that point the dead beat seller may well show up online . The dead beat then bashes seller for not waiting for the "second" money order. Worse yet claiming the seller received the money order but accepted a higher offer in the meantime ! Seen it happen.
If the seller is willingly limiting his pool of prospects so be it. That is his choice. It is the way transactions take place. Buyer and seller agree to terms mutually. If either or is unwilling or unable to agree, so be it . Better the two avoid dealing with one another.
I deal with unknown individuals either in person with cash or over distances with Paypal, buying or selling.