People that ask 3.5% be paid when dealing with PayPal

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
KG0MN

People that ask 3.5% be paid when dealing with PayPal

Post by KG0MN »

This is expressly forbidden in the terms of service you agree to when you sign up for PayPal, my friend just had his account permanently closed or perhaps as they worded it "Closed indefinitely" because of this action. The buyer submitted the email asking for the additional money and then PayPal contacted him about it, he of course admitted to it and they pulled the plug. I have used PayPal for over 1700 transactions and have never asked for that extra money, my advice if you want it add 3.5% to the item, raise the price and be quiet about it.

KG0MN
kc6vlg

The problem with this....

Post by kc6vlg »

While it is true that PayPal can shut you down for charging extra to the buyer when using their service. PayPal in my opinion does have the right since they stated in the rule up front. That said.....

I personally preffered Postal MO and willing to wait a few days for the money. If the buyer wants convenience and protection then the buyer should pay for the fee. Why should the seller be burden with something that would benefit the buyer more so than the seller?

PayPal should leave the decision of who's going to pay their hefty 3.5% cut to the parties involved. Then there is this BS PayPal put on the seller by holding the seller's money pretending "for the buyer's protection" while PP earns interest on that money during the holding period. Do you think they are going to pay the seller interest on the money PP is holding hostage? I don't think so.
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Like was said, Paypal fees are a part of "the cost of doing business. Roll it in to your price if you really cannot bear absorbing the cost.
I like the fact that when I am paid instantly there is no hearing the "check is in the mail" or " I sent it two weeks ago, can't understand why you didn't get it" or the famous "I sent the check, send my goods noe or I will smear you in feedback". At the time you may have turned down other , responsible buyers who have now moved on. As a seller I like to let the potential buyer know I have nothing to hide nor fear. In the event we agree to disagree they have a third party option that the post office and the internet vigilantes cannot provide. So far, I have never had a buyer feel the need to avail themselves of that option.

As a buyer, it shows good faith by an immediate issue of payment plus I have recourse that is very hard to impossible to duplicate with Money Orders or bank checks. I haven't done a survey but I would likely bet the tales of woe from people cheated when using postal money orders far and away outnumber the Paypal buyer's issues.

As for Paypal making money ? Sure, that is why they got in to business. News flash ; If you verify your account properly , you can indeed withdraw your funds immediately and keep greedy old Paypal from collecting all that interest.
kw4h

Post by kw4h »

I'm not a frequent seller of gear (although lately I've been cleaning out the shack and have posted some stuff). When I first started posting some items for sale here, I refused to accept PayPal. After thinking about it some more, I decided to reverse course and accept PayPal because if I was a buyer I'd appreciate the convenience. I may trust the ham on the other end of the sale, but asking someone to get a bank check or money order is asking a heckuva lot out of their time (driving to the post office or bank, mailing the check or money order, etc). So I've changed my listings to say "MO/Check preferred but PayPal is possible". At least the buyer knows that I'd prefer something other than PayPal but they won't feel like I'm being a chump over it.

73, Steve.
KK2DOG

Post by KK2DOG »

Quote: "Roll it in to your price if you really cannot bear absorbing the cost."

Amen Brother! If I want to see $100 put into my Paypal account for an item I'm selling, I'll sell the item for $104. No re-figuring the final cost, and no drama either.

Mike KK2DOG
www.hamwave.com
KB3RPE

My thoughts...

Post by KB3RPE »

PP Personal offers money transfer without fees.... why burden anyone with extra costs... My 2¢... :idea:
shaggy_24740

PAY PAL

Post by shaggy_24740 »

kg8lb wrote:Like was said, Paypal fees are a part of "the cost of doing business. Roll it in to your price if you really cannot bear absorbing the cost.
I like the fact that when I am paid instantly there is no hearing the "check is in the mail" or " I sent it two weeks ago, can't understand why you didn't get it" or the famous "I sent the check, send my goods now or I will smear you in feedback". At the time you may have turned down other , responsible buyers who have now moved on. As a seller I like to let the potential buyer know I have nothing to hide nor fear. In the event we agree to disagree they have a third party option that the post office and the Internet vigilantes cannot provide. So far, I have never had a buyer feel the need to avail themselves of that option.

As a buyer, it shows good faith by an immediate issue of payment plus I have recourse that is very hard to impossible to duplicate with Money Orders or bank checks. I haven't done a survey but I would likely bet the tales of woe from people cheated when using postal money orders far and away outnumber the Pay pal buyer's issues.

As for Pay pal making money ? Sure, that is why they got in to business. News flash ; If you verify your account properly , you can indeed withdraw your funds immediately and keep greedy old Pay pal from collecting all that interest.
PAY PAL has their Own credit cards, They charge the highest interest in this nation I had one. Why are there also a transaction fee with 33% interest? Pay Pal sucks. I paid them off when I shut down my account 2 years ago they can take a flying leap. They get Mad when you use a CITI or other card, and charge a fee to punish you for not letting them put the shaft to you. PAY PAL sucks.
Hey if you want to sell me something and demand PAY PAL and have a good house and Bank account and credit line and are verified by pay pal, I'll let you send me a bill through PAY PAL... And if I don't like the Item. My credit card company will personally pull it from PAY PAL themselves, and you'll loose.
and it will be up to you to go to California and file a claim. I live in West Virginia I'm not binding myself to go to California to a place where i can get shot or stabbed or robed, to file a claim even if it is $10000.00. They have lost my money let buyers strip my equipment and even asked to report it to the local authorities in my state when one of their transactions go wrong. PAY PAL sucks. :P
If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck ,Its a Duck