Posting Digitals with the 100K Restriction

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
W2CQMron

Posting Digitals with the 100K Restriction

Post by W2CQMron »

Purchased a new Nikon D90 digital camera with a very high resolution potential. I'm having difficulty compressing the JPEG format to meet the QTH criteria. Although I'd like to increase the resolution of the accompanying digitals to my posts, I'm compelled to return to the lesser quality camera. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Ron (W2CQM@juno.com)
wx1f

Re: Posting Digitals with the 100K Restriction

Post by wx1f »

W2CQMron wrote:Purchased a new Nikon D90 digital camera with a very high resolution potential. I'm having difficulty compressing the JPEG format to meet the QTH criteria. Although I'd like to increase the resolution of the accompanying digitals to my posts, I'm compelled to return to the lesser quality camera. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Ron (W2CQM@juno.com)
Have you tried the photo resizing software that Scott has made available? It works for me. http://swap.qth.com/resize/
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

In addition to using the resizer, in your ad you can also offer to send hi-res pictures to anyone that is interested.

- Scott KA9FOX
K0RS

Post by K0RS »

The "Paint" program , which is available as part of every Windows package, does a fine job of resizing also. An additional benefit is you can save your photo in nearly any format available. Just use the "Stretch/Skew" option and enter a new percentage. Usually entering 80% for both height and width will bring a 250~300k photo down to just under 100k. Cake.
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

Effective January 15th, 2009:
  • The 100kb file size limit has been removed. We will accept virtually any size picture.
  • There is no need to reduce your images before uploading. You can even upload straight from your camera/chip.
  • If your picture is gigantic, we will reduce it to a respectable 1280x1024 size, and do some light JPEG compression, without greatly reducing picture quality.
  • We will also automatically create a small size image (thumbnail) for the main ad picture, which will make those pages load faster than they do today.
- Scott KA9FOX