Paypal fees

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
K8AC

Paypal fees

Post by K8AC »

In the past few months, I've noted that many of the ads saying the seller will take Paypal require the buyer to pay a fee of between 3 and 4%. I've used Paypal since their beginning, and while I don't agree with many of their policies, the fact is I've been able to sell quite a few pieces of gear to people who could pay only with Paypal and I would not have sold some items had I not accepted Paypal. If you're a business who accepts credit cards, the card charges sellers a fee for that service. While a few businesses might offer discounts for cash purchases, you won't find any today who insist that the customer pay the seller's fee.

Few people read the User Agreement that they agreed to when they signed up for Paypal. Those who do will find this item:

"4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions."

I did check this out with Paypal and it says what it appears to say - you agree NOT to pass along the seller's fees to the buyer. So what? Well, when I'm searching the ads for something, if I find the item but the seller insists on my paying his fees, I move on. I figure if he has no regard for that agreement, it's possible that he also may not hesitate to be less than honest in our personal dealings. Are the fees excessive? I think they are, but I agreed to follow the rules and I don't pass along the fees to buyers.

In the past, Paypal has stated an interest in going after sites where this has become common practice. Given the situation, it might be a good idea for QTH.com to add a note to the ad-placement process reminding users of the Paypal policy. QTH.com is the absolute best place to buy and sell ham gear, but I find this practice of the seller charging his fees back to the buyer to be a turnoff.
W5ROY

Pay Pal fees

Post by W5ROY »

:lol: I feel as you do. I do not shop where it is advertised that I pay for the merchants cost of doing business. It is figured into the cost of the goods or services. Offer a discount for cash in the form of a cashiers check or USPS money order. Nuff said Roy 8)
Central control for ENMARC storm spotters. KC5EGP master control.
K4ICL

Questions...

Post by K4ICL »

Isn't offering a "cash" discount (for check or money order, etc. payment) the same as requiring a 3% additional charge for "non-cash" (PayPal, credit card, etc. payment)?

Why should a seller, who does not use PayPal, pay the PayPal fee for a sellers who want the convenience of using PayPal (including PayPal credit card usage, etc.)?

Why should buyers who use checks, money orders, etc. pay an automatic 3% additional to NOT use PayPal services?

Why are some users so willing to "go to bat" for a corporation's poorly thought out requirement; one removing the right of sellers to set any price they want for any item they sell?

'Tis a quandary.
wx1f

Re: Questions...

Post by wx1f »

K4ICL wrote:Isn't offering a "cash" discount (for check or money order, etc. payment) the same as requiring a 3% additional charge for "non-cash" (PayPal, credit card, etc. payment)?

Why should a seller, who does not use PayPal, pay the PayPal fee for a sellers who want the convenience of using PayPal (including PayPal credit card usage, etc.)?

Why should buyers who use checks, money orders, etc. pay an automatic 3% additional to NOT use PayPal services?

Why are some users so willing to "go to bat" for a corporation's poorly thought out requirement; one removing the right of sellers to set any price they want for any item they sell?

'Tis a quandary.
It's simple math. Just charge a "handling fee" and don't mention the words PayPal fee. DUH!!!
K4ICL

So is OK to lie about it?

Post by K4ICL »

I don't think so.

Nuff Said

K4ICL
KC0UKR

Post by KC0UKR »

How is it a quandry or even an issue?

If you agree to something and then simply decide not to follow through as agreed it is black and white.

If you agree to the PayPal terms then follow them but don't make lame excuses for deciding it is not right.....you already agreed.

Why is this hard to understand and how can you condone this and expect what the original poster here suggests.
I too find it hard to trust a seller who employs this logic.

Ed
shaggy_24740

Re: Paypal fees

Post by shaggy_24740 »

K8AC wrote:In the past few months, I've noted that many of the ads saying the seller will take Paypal require the buyer to pay a fee of between 3 and 4%. I've used Paypal since their beginning, and while I don't agree with many of their policies, the fact is I've been able to sell quite a few pieces of gear to people who could pay only with Paypal and I would not have sold some items had I not accepted Paypal. If you're a business who accepts credit cards, the card charges sellers a fee for that service. While a few businesses might offer discounts for cash purchases, you won't find any today who insist that the customer pay the seller's fee.

Few people read the User Agreement that they agreed to when they signed up for Paypal. Those who do will find this item:

"4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions."

I did check this out with Paypal and it says what it appears to say - you agree NOT to pass along the seller's fees to the buyer. So what? Well, when I'm searching the ads for something, if I find the item but the seller insists on my paying his fees, I move on. I figure if he has no regard for that agreement, it's possible that he also may not hesitate to be less than honest in our personal dealings. Are the fees excessive? I think they are, but I agreed to follow the rules and I don't pass along the fees to buyers.

In the past, Paypal has stated an interest in going after sites where this has become common practice. Given the situation, it might be a good idea for QTH.com to add a note to the ad-placement process reminding users of the Paypal policy. QTH.com is the absolute best place to buy and sell ham gear, but I find this practice of the seller charging his fees back to the buyer to be a turnoff.
Why can't you send a cashiers check? I quit using Pay Pal and have never had one problem,, through Pay Pal I had to file 2 complaints for people not sending the merchandise after I paid , since they were unverified I lost money they only collected $20 of one $58 transaction.
One poster said it the best, File a complaint By Email to the local sheriff where they live and put a copy of the add in it. Most towns and localities do not tolerate enet fraud. And most make it a felony, and felons loose a "lot" of privelidges if convicted.
If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck ,Its a Duck