Viewing trickle of 10 ads at a time is tedious

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
qwasty

Viewing trickle of 10 ads at a time is tedious

Post by qwasty »

OK, there's around 5000 ads on QTH at any given time. I don't bother viewing them because they're spoon fed only 10 at a time with no option to see a few hundred at a time. I can skim through a thousand ads in about 2 minutes looking for stuff I want to buy, but I never get through the 500 clicks needed to see everything. At best I get to one or two before I get frustrated and start feeling like I'm wasting my time.
ne6v

good luck

Post by ne6v »

FIRST OFF, MR.POSTER, WHAT IS YOUR CALL SIGN, I DON'T SEE IT IN YOUR PROFILE. :!:
Second: Perhaps you have a medical condition which gets you "fustrated" so easily and gives you the feeling of "worthlessness" ="wasting time" . :idea:
What else gets you "frustradted" so fast? :?:
What do you do once you get "frustrated"? :?:

Those are the questions that come to my mind after reading your post. :shock:
I leave Gordon, WX1F to be the PIT BULL!! :x Go getm' Gorden!

Finally, Mr.Poster, if you don't like the site thats an easy fix (TOP right corner of your browser) :arrow:
W4AIN

Trickle Viewing of Ads

Post by W4AIN »

I would also be interested in a feature that would allow me to view more than 10 ads per page.
Phil - W4AIN
On The Air Communications
www.w4ain.com
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

This feature is coming... hang in there!

- Scott KA9FOX
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

SEARCH

Then again, if you aren't paying , you can't betch.
W4AIN

Post by W4AIN »

KG8LB wrote:SEARCH

This is not a solution to the proposed issue. Even if you do a search the results are still limited to a maximum of ten ads per page. If the feature were to be added, it would benefit *everyone* not just those that donate to this site. Whether or not anyone *pays* has no bearing on this issue, but thank you for your input just the same.
Phil - W4AIN
www.w4ain.com
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

w4ain wrote:
KG8LB wrote:SEARCH

This is not a solution to the proposed issue. Even if you do a search the results are still limited to a maximum of ten ads per page. If the feature were to be added, it would benefit *everyone* not just those that donate to this site. Whether or not anyone *pays* has no bearing on this issue, but thank you for your input just the same.
It certainly is an alternative. After all by using the SEARCH feature the ten results on one page may save a person from having to scan 100 or so pages and in fact quick scanners often miss a few. A considerable saving of time. Time is money , it takes time for web masters to make improvements , money helps. Indeed paying members are a major element in keeping the site viable. So , yes indeed it is a suggestion , not a solution....And YOUR "solution" ?
Thanks in advance .
W4AIN

Post by W4AIN »

KG8LB wrote: It certainly is an alternative. After all by using the SEARCH feature the ten results on one page may save a person from having to scan 100 or so pages and in fact quick scanners often miss a few. A considerable saving of time. Time is money , it takes time for web masters to make improvements , money helps. Indeed paying members are a major element in keeping the site viable. So , yes indeed it is a suggestion , not a solution....And YOUR "solution" ?
Thanks in advance .

OK, I do see your reasoning in using the search feature. This is a great idea in those instances when a person is looking for a specific item and the listings for that item are few in number. However this does not affect those, like myself, who are not looking for a specific item, but rather just browsing the ads to see what is available.
The search feature is not 'fool-proof' because there are many ads in which the poster misspells words. A case in point: a few days ago I was searching for a Yaesu FT-920. After several searches I am confident that I found all of the ads. But, at the same time, I had to page through many ads which had no bearing on my search. Some sellers misspelled Yaesu, others used FT-920 while yet others used FT920. A search of just using '920' revealed every ad that had that number in it, whether or not it was referring to the Yaesu FT-920. Do a search using "920" and you'll see what I mean. I have donated and will continue to donate to this site. You are correct in the assumption that "time is money". The time that someone spends looking through the ads is just as valuable as anyone else' time. If a potential buyer gets frustrated at having to page through the ads as it is now and stops using the site then money is potentially lost. My intent is to perhaps make Scott aware of ways that would improve the site. There was a time when Scott asked me for my opinion on ways to improve this site and I am offering that input. Should Scott not want my input, he has only to let me know and I'll keep my opinions to myself. So, in that light, my solution is to continue to support this site and try to help make it better for *everyone* that uses it, not just a select group, by offering my input on ways to improve it and provide financial assistance as I go along.
Phil - W4AIN
www.w4ain.com
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Maybe it is just me but the ten ad's per page never bothered me and still does not. But like so many things today every body is either tolerant or could care less until one or two people complain and then it's like a trickle of water becoming a waterfall.I don't smoke but for ever body out side of certain religious people or the few that smoke did indeed give them a problem both smokers and non smokers tolerated each other then the complainers got the attention and then the Government saw a opportunity to gain from it by joining in the attacks and started adding higher Taxes under various excuses. I know this got off subject but i was trying to make a exaggerated example of how a hand full of complainers can create a never satisfied group of people . And once scott Changes his format because of the complaints that there will now be more nit picking. If i'm looking for say a Icom 756 i simply type in Icom 756 in the search box and go from there.
Larry Huff K0pd
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

lhuffk0pd wrote:Maybe it is just me but the ten ad's per page never bothered me and still does not. But like so many things today every body is either tolerant or could care less until one or two people complain and then it's like a trickle of water becoming a waterfall.I don't smoke but for ever body out side of certain religious people or the few that smoke did indeed give them a problem both smokers and non smokers tolerated each other then the complainers got the attention and then the Government saw a opportunity to gain from it by joining in the attacks and started adding higher Taxes under various excuses. I know this got off subject but i was trying to make a exaggerated example of how a hand full of complainers can create a never satisfied group of people . And once scott Changes his format because of the complaints that there will now be more nit picking. If i'm looking for say a Icom 756 i simply type in Icom 756 in the search box and go from there.
Zacktly correct !
W4AIN

Post by W4AIN »

lhuffk0pd wrote:Maybe it is just me but the ten ad's per page never bothered me and still does not. But like so many things today every body is either tolerant or could care less until one or two people complain and then it's like a trickle of water becoming a waterfall.I don't smoke but for ever body out side of certain religious people or the few that smoke did indeed give them a problem both smokers and non smokers tolerated each other then the complainers got the attention and then the Government saw a opportunity to gain from it by joining in the attacks and started adding higher Taxes under various excuses. I know this got off subject but i was trying to make a exaggerated example of how a hand full of complainers can create a never satisfied group of people . And once scott Changes his format because of the complaints that there will now be more nit picking. If i'm looking for say a Icom 756 i simply type in Icom 756 in the search box and go from there.
Then that is exactly what YOU should do if that is what you want. I am not proposing to get rid of the search feature! If you like the ten-ad-at-a-time approach then that is fine by me. However, I don't like it and would like to see an option to view more ads per page. I am not asking Scott to take away what is already in place, just asking if it can be enhanced. Perhaps it can be set up so that the users have a choice in what format they wish to use (ie 10, 50, 100, or all ads viewed per page.) Commercial ads can be interspersed within the page, say after every 10 ads, and the sponsors still get their coverage. I really don't understand the problem so many hams seem to have with changing things. You take my suggestions as 'complaining'.....A very wise man once told me, "If you don't like the way things are, don't complain. Take the proper steps to change the situation".....That is what I am attempting to do. If people like the site as it is, then they need not use any features that may be added in the future.
Phil - W4AIN
www.w4ain.com
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

Phil, your feedback and ideas are appreciated. There will likely be a feature as you have suggested in the near future.

- Scott KA9FOX
W4AIN

Post by W4AIN »

Thanks for listening, Scott.
BTW, the "Send this Ad to a Friend" feature is awesome. Keep up the great work.
This site rocks!
Phil - W4AIN
www.w4ain.com
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Very important to have a venue like this. As amateur radio sinks below the horizon.... more and more gear will be looking for those ever diminishing buyers.

Seems Scott mentioned a few posts back that the feature was in the works. In the meantime the site is indeed quite easy to maeuver. Then again it would be nice to rework hamfests so the buyers sat is chairs and the sellers placed the gear in front of them so as to see it all at once. .

Just kidding, different folks have different needs. I have no further need for ham gear . Whatever doesn't sell here I figure no one needs. Tossed 400 pounds of gear into the trash last Monday. Getting another, larger load ready today. Sure beats shipping it or having to haul it to a hamfest ! After a while you get tired of unshaven, smelly creatures opening new tube boxes by tearing the ends off , just to see if it IS new, "Yep, it's a KT88 , brand new, WHOOPS, sorry about that , looks like you only have one now...I'll give ya two bucks for it, I actually needed a matched pair." Others picking up an old transformer from below the table and resting it on top of a mint Ranger while they count out the nickels to pay for the transformer.
Last edited by kg8lb on Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Phil i have no problem with Scott enhancing or how he runs his site. It's his and he can do what he wants with it. I've donated a few times to it so i'm not a big donater but then again i rarely ever make a dime on any thing i sell. And if it turns out i don't like the Changes then as my Dad used to tell me tough shinsky. I do not know Scott personally nor any thing about him so i was only saying that once whiners or complainers are given a inch they will want a mile. I thought maybe Scott might have ran a vote on the propsed Changes or complaints heck i'm probably the minority in my opinion and it would not be the first time. But now my complaint not that it makes any difference or would have any supporters. But i think the ability to respond to private e mails on this site needs to be better designed. I've tried to respond at times only to have to response go to my message box. I've tried to contact Scott i believe twice and to this day i have no idea if he got my e mails. One was about when i got scammed on QTH and another over a disagreement that was going on. Scott never replied and i have no idea if he got the e mails or not,as if he did i was not deemed important enough or gave him reason enough to answer me back. Theirs my story and i'm sticking to it.
Larry Huff K0pd
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

Larry, my email address is at the bottom of every page on the classifieds. If you use it, I will get the message. If you use the private messaging on this site, I will also get it. In both cases, I will reply. If you don't get a reply, then you have a spam filtering problem.

- Scott KA9FOX
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Well Scott maybe that is the Problem as i've tried both of the ways to reach you. But others have been able to receive my Messages but here lately when i tried answering back the message ends up being sent to my mail box here. And i do have the famous Vista Home edition and Norton.
Larry Huff K0pd
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

Larry, you last emailed me on Feb 11th, 2010, about a problem with N0EE. Message arrived at 8:10PM CST, and I replied at 8:25PM CST. The message went to l*******d@sbcglobal.net. I've checked my server logs, and SBCs mail server accepted the message. If you didn't get it, then you have an email problem and you have to take it up with SBC. You should be worried about what other mail you aren't getting, eh?

- Scott KA9FOX
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Scott my main e mail address is lhk0pd@sbcglobal.net and just by counting the spaces it looks like you sent it to lhuffk0pd@sbcglobal.net and if that is the case then i never would have got it and would have no idea why SBC would have accepted it. But in my Private messagew box here when i click on reply it goes to me in my message box. I tried to respond to a message Martyn of Radio Mart sent me and i could not send it to him but to me., Is there something i'm doing wrong?
Larry Huff K0pd
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

Larry, your email address here on this board is wrong. Click "profile" and update your email address.

- Scott
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Taken care of as now at least i know why i never got a E mail back . Now to see if i can reply to a private message with out it coming back to me instead of them..
Larry Huff K0pd