Ham Operator GREED

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
K4ICL

Post by K4ICL »

Consider this.

Many good, honest, just-like-you-and-me users of QTH.com and other ham related classified sites throughout the world really don't know what our sales item are worth in today's market. I include myself with this group.

So what do we do. Eventually, we "Google" our sales item to see how other sellers have priced the same item in the same condition. What do we find? Prices "all over the map." Often as not, our initial "gut-feeling" worth of our specific item, will be much lower that some of the top prices being asked by others.

[By the way, the prices asked by "others" is a sample of available market values for our items--this is called the estimated market value price spread].

Now I have a pricing range for my sales item. What price should I going to choose for my QTH.com Classified Ad? What are my options?

1) List the price range (lowest to highest price range)? No. If we do, it will look like we don't know what we want for the item.
2) List the lowest price? No. We don't want to cheat ourselves.
3) List the estimated average price [Highest price - Lowest price divided by 2.]? No, this is not a true average.
4) List the highest price? Perhaps, but we are not sure.

Finally we are forced to let the buyers decide what a good price will be. We use the highest price in the estimated market value price spread and let responses to our ad determine what price to use.

But wait, we have priced our item at the highest price. We are going to be perceived as being GREEDY and UNCARING and etc. Perhaps, but in today's world of Internet-fast communications technology, this is the best way to find out what something we want to sell is worth. Setting a so-called "high" price is the start of a very different type of price negotiation--one which is very similar to a "call out" auction. The Internet has become our "auctioneer" and our bidders are the readers of our ads. If they choose to "bid" our high price, that is what THEY think the item is worth. [If we AGREE, we sell it to them at the highest price.] If our listed price is too high, and they offer a lower price, that is what THEY think our items is worth. [If we agree we can choose to sell it at a lower price.]

Conclusion: High prices listed in classified ads to sell simply means the seller is allowing the world MARKET to set his price. It does not mean he is greedy, uncaring, dishonest, liberal, conservative, Democrat, Republican, Tea Party, Black, White, Green, etc. etc. It just means he has learned how to use the Internet!

Respectfully,

K4ICL
kd4lyh

Post by kd4lyh »

Most people asking ridiculous prices for equipment are "LEGENDS IN THEIR OWN MINDS". If you think you paid to much dont piss and moan about it . Do your homework.
jpnorth

Re: Ham Operator GREED

Post by jpnorth »

VE6ZM wrote:Well I am going to say what I am sure many Hams visiting this and other swap sites are thinking. Why the hell are most of you guys selling USED, sometimes VERY USED equipment for 80-100% of new prices. Ham radio is on the decline for several reasons one of them is the access to AFFORDABLE equipment. Anyone asking 90% for a well used piece of equipment should be ashamed of themselves. They are doing themselves and more importantly the Ham community a huge disservice. I have been into ham for 30 years and it was not always like this. I can honestly say I am disgusted and the level of greed exercised by a growing number of hams. Anyone thinking of buying used equipment should do a little research and you may find that MANY of the people selling used equipment on this site are asking almost new prices. And if they say it is still under warranty, you better check that out to because the manufacturer may not transfer warranties. So is it worth it to save $50 dollars on a piece of equipment selling for just over $700 new? I can site COUNTLESS examples. One being the FT 857D which sells for around $700 (with the separation kit) new if you look around, while some on the site are/were asking almost the same price and the radio is 2 years old! If you want your equipment to be worthless in 10 years keep the prices high so no up and coming hams can afford equipment and not get into the hobby. If you are not selling antiques or collector radios/equipment chances are that prices go down. Just because you paid $500 for something 5 years ago does not warrent you selling it for the same price or more. Thanks but I think I will buy new from now on! Shame on you and you know who you are!

Thanks
Dan
VE6ZM
See / search on this title: New Ham Old Ham Gets Ripped Off- the above activity is alive and well in 2013~!
Last edited by jpnorth on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Greedy people gripe more loudly about prices than anyone.
OK, So where are the filters now ?
KA3TGV

Post by KA3TGV »

Don't mind the high asking prices. Their near universality nullifies the market, as do unscrupulous business practices practiced by what strikes me as a critical mass of buyers and sellers, not just online but also in person. Just enough to screw up the market. Net result? Not much changes hands. And this in a hobby that has probably seen its better days.

Guess I'm greedy. I decline to pay very much for anything, even when the prevailing wisdom indicates its a good deal. The trading prices of old ham radio equipment inform me this is one more asset class bubble. The modern American way of doing business is s-p-e-c-u-l-a-t-i-o-n. Despite my miserable miserly ways I've still managed to nearly displace myself from my own house with BA gear.

But when I pass on in 25-30 years hopefully the Executor has the good sense to order an extra-large dumpster. Because by that time that's all it will be worth.

Doug
W3DBB
KM4AH

Post by KM4AH »

I think the cost of top of the line new equipment has gotten so far out of reach that it has driven up the price of nice used equipment.

I think it is a little off to belittle somebody for selling something at a price somebody is willing to pay.

I think those complaining the most about not being able to get a score are the absolute worst to try to buy something from.
W4ITG

Post by W4ITG »

I agree with all sides here. I've already had this discussion on QRZ.com and was told I was bit@$!^# too much. The deals are out there you just have to be patient. IC706MKIIG'S go for pretty much $550-$800 for a used one. I got lucky and found one for $450.00. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time & to be truthful wasn't at that time looking to buy anything. I just happened to overhear A QSO on a repeater and jumped right on the opportunity. The guy was even nice enough to hold it for me for a week so I could get the money. So not all hams are greedy just the majority are in my opinion. I'm not saying you shouldn't get everything you have coming to you price wise but come on people give us a break.

Mark W4ITG