Cigarette Odor

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
N2PET

Cigarette Odor

Post by N2PET »

Just an idea for thought....... Whenever I've received an item that smells of smoke, I take a plastic bag and throw a few dryer sheets, Bounce works very well :) Tie the bag shut for approx 24 hours and Voila! No more smoke odor! Try it it works very well for me. Happy 08' to one and all.
k8vf

cigarette smoke

Post by k8vf »

Great idea, but many times once the fan starts up(if rig has one), my experience is that the covers will have to come off.

This is my plea for sellers to AUTOMATICALLY report that the rig is a "smoker".

Since most folks dont smoke, PLEASE guys, dont make us ask...Just tell us up front!

Best of 2008 to all.

K8VF
N7BUI

Re: cigarette smoke

Post by N7BUI »

k8vf wrote:Great idea, but many times once the fan starts up(if rig has one), my experience is that the covers will have to come off.

This is my plea for sellers to AUTOMATICALLY report that the rig is a "smoker".

Since most folks dont smoke, PLEASE guys, dont make us ask...Just tell us up front!

Best of 2008 to all.

K8VF
Nice idea, but don't expect smokers to feel sympathy. I'm an ex-smoker who can't stand opening up a box only to find the microphone, manuals, packing material, and the radio itself reeking of cigarettes. Its happened three times to me. Its the one thing a picture doesn't tell you about the rig.

A thread that I started on QRZ.com last year was met with hostility as I stated it was a hidden defect of the equipment NOT to tell the purchaser that it had been around smokers. Some even thought it was my fault that I got stuck with equpment that reeked of smoke because I didn't have the decency to ask!!!

Lots of scrubbing, Freebrez, and airing out seem to be the best thing to get rid of the odor. I have tossed out some of the microphones that smelled so bad I woudn't use them. Nothing like a face full of cigarette smell is there? :D

George
N7BUI
k3ich

Bounce for cig smell

Post by k3ich »

I tried the idea of using bounce dryer sheets to rid the radio of cigarette smoke, but had some unfortunate results.

It not only banged up the radio, but ther dryer is ruined too........
K4ICL

R R R

Post by K4ICL »

.-.
kp4zb

Re: Cigarette Odor

Post by kp4zb »

Recently got into a trade, I DO NOT smoke, I ask about smoke to the other operator: he stated no smoking in his side, what do you know as soon I open the box the smell came out, wont care if I did not ask but I ask, thanks to God for newspaper :roll:
k1ri

Re: Cigarette Odor

Post by k1ri »

Best way to handle the odor is fire up your own cigarette, you will not notice the smell on your gear.

Sidebar:

Q. What is the difference between humor and odor?
A. Humor is a shift of wit.