Have some of you never heard of a spell checker?

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
VE3TMT

Have some of you never heard of a spell checker?

Post by VE3TMT »

Please guys, some of it is just down right ridiculous. I won't mention ads or call signs but reading through some of the ads is quite comical. A 3rd grader would probably make fewer mistakes. Perhaps you just don't know any better or don't care, but you should. I personally do not buyer from sellers who can't spell. I wouldn't trust the package to get to the right location!

Mary Kristmus all and Seesuns Greetins'
N4FPS

Re: Have some of you never heard of a spell checker?

Post by N4FPS »

ve3tmt wrote:Please guys, some of it is just down right ridiculous. I won't mention ads or call signs but reading through some of the ads is quite comical. A 3rd grader would probably make fewer mistakes. Perhaps you just don't know any better or don't care, but you should. I personally do not buyer from sellers who can't spell. I wouldn't trust the package to get to the right location!

By the way the proper word is buy not buyer. Just thought I'd let you know. I guess speck check is useless with miss used words though.

Doug
k3ich

wurds and speling

Post by k3ich »

Hammerland (sledge or claw?) amature radio XYZ-123 duel band radio for sell. (which band won?) Comes with manuel and verticle antenna. (Will Manuel help put up your antenna?). Good fiscal condition, sold asis, but garanted not DOA. (a real confidence builder). Will traid only for Stanless steel work-bench (chance of success = 0.0001%) Pickup only (from where?) 73's (= best regards's) KCF-0114
n9vao

Post by n9vao »

What I get a kick out of is when they say it comes with a mike. Who is mike? I don't want a radio with some guy named mike boxed with it. I would rather have a mic.
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

N4FPS is correct. SpellCheck does not work with misused words. Neither does it work when misspelling results in a valid, correctly spelled word -- for example brake instead of break.

Neither does the "Spelling and Grammar " check tool in MS Word detect incorrectly used words.

After all, all of these tools are "ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE" with trong emphasis on the "ARTIFICIAL".

In closing, I tried to see if I could run SpellCheck on this post. I'm running Mozilla Thunderbird for email and the SpellCheck was not
available for this post.

Has anybody out there figured-out how to run SpellCheck on non-email posts?

JERRY

N9LCD[/u]
K4ICL

Use the Google spell checker...

Post by K4ICL »

Use the one that comes with the Google tool bar for the Windows Internet Explorer. Works great...

K4ICL
n5wrx

Post by n5wrx »

Spelling ???
Your BIG gripe is spelling? :lol:
Go check out the CW operators sometime.
(Ya do use the stuff you buy and sell here don't ya?)
CW ain't got no spell checker so it is OK to take short cuts there.
You can always spot a newbie on a computer keyboard cause ALL the words are spelled out letter for letter.
Correctly spelled or not.
Instead of sending QTH?
they send WHAT IS YOUR QTH?
(notice they got their amps turned on ... (all caps))

:oops: Wait ... you got to have some knowledge and skill to operate CW.
Sorry fellas .... forget it .... :roll:
Most of you would never know what I am talking about. :D
KC0UKR

Post by KC0UKR »

n5wrx wrote:Spelling ???
Your BIG gripe is spelling? :lol:
Go check out the CW operators sometime.
(Ya do use the stuff you buy and sell here don't ya?)
CW ain't got no spell checker so it is OK to take short cuts there.
You can always spot a newbie on a computer keyboard cause ALL the words are spelled out letter for letter.
Correctly spelled or not.
Instead of sending QTH?
they send WHAT IS YOUR QTH?
(notice they got their amps turned on ... (all caps))

:oops: Wait ... you got to have some knowledge and skill to operate CW.
Sorry fellas .... forget it .... :roll:
Most of you would never know what I am talking about. :D

Thats nice!
I imagine you are one of the jerks whining about CW withering away and at the same time will bitch that some do not have your "Special" aptitude for it though they are trying?!?

Am I wrong?
n5wrx

Post by n5wrx »

KC0UKR wrote:
Am I wrong?
You could not be more wrong!
KC0UKR

Post by KC0UKR »

n5wrx wrote:
KC0UKR wrote:
Am I wrong?
You could not be more wrong!
Great

That is just the kind of insight filled response that helps to make your point.
kc4wms

Post by kc4wms »

ve3tmt wrote:Please guys, some of it is just down right ridiculous. I won't mention ads or call signs but reading through some of the ads is quite comical. A 3rd grader would probably make fewer mistakes. Perhaps you just don't know any better or don't care, but you should. I personally do not buy( er ) from sellers who can't spell. I wouldn't trust the package to get to the right location!

to err is human, but propagation is Divine! ;o)
Ham Operators do it with Frequency
WD4GPO

Spell check

Post by WD4GPO »

Hey folks..
I can not spell E or I without looking it up. So I found this little program

http://www.iespell.com/

It comes up in the menu with a right click of the mouse and does a great job for me. Give it a shot. You can read all about it at the web site.

WD4GPO :
ddurgin

spell checker bad, or they just don't know English !

Post by ddurgin »

If I get an email with broken English entirely, I immediately get a picture of whom I'm talking to and where they are from... Helps immensely when it is a scammy deal, also..
W4AIN

Post by W4AIN »

ve3tmt wrote:Please guys, some of it is just down right ridiculous. I won't mention ads or call signs but reading through some of the ads is quite comical. A 3rd grader would probably make fewer mistakes. Perhaps you just don't know any better or don't care, but you should. I personally do not buyer from sellers who can't spell. I wouldn't trust the package to get to the right location!

Interesting.....I do not 'buyer' from sellers whether they can spell or not.
Phil - W4AIN
On The Air Communications
www.w4ain.com
wx1f

Post by wx1f »

Holy Crap...I just stumbled onto this stupid thread by accident....Where's a damn door when you need one !!!!