"SMOKING" vs "NON-SMOKING" Environment

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
KF4UJA
Location: Snowflake, in SW VA, halfway between Gate City & Nicklesville, VA

Post by KF4UJA »

Although the issue of ham equipment exposed to a "smoking environment" vs a "non-smoking" may have been addressed previously, I have yet to find it! If it is, please direct me to the correct forum/link. If not, then I am requesting specific "FACTS" relative to these two issues. Please: "NO OPINIONS"!!!! I am seeing more and more ads with "non-smoking" in them. Both buying and selling. Help me out here? I just do not know what this has to do with selling or buying? I have sold and bought many different items for the past 10yrs, now. I posted an ad yesterday. It just so happened this one was in my mobile. I do not smoke in my mobile. However, all of the rest of my equipment is exposed to a "smoking environment"!!! So, if you see an ad posted in the future by me, you should already know the answer in the previous statement!! Thanks,
Jerry KF4UJA
God's Abundant Blessings on all of you, and 73
N8PQB

Smoking vs non smoking

Post by N8PQB »

Well Jerry, I know you said no opinions, but I think when you ask a question the only answer you can get is going to be somewhat opinionated.
I am sure this thread can gather up a bunch of opinions on what this means.
So I have the honor of being first....
I bought a radio from a guy that I forgot to ask if he smoked and it worked satisfactory, however, it took a couple of scrubbings to get the "brown" stains off of the outside of the radio. The circuit boards of course could not be cleaned. The odor of stale smoke could not be neutralized. Even Fabreeze couldn't kill it. So that is one issue, The odor.
Secondly, many people have an allergy to smoke, that makes it real serious for them.
Third, the "smoke stain" can and will contaminate relay contacts, and the pot wiper/contact surface of volume controls and other pots that have an opening.. Having a higher than normal contact resistance on relays can greatly affect the performance of the radio.
Well Jerry, there are some facts and some opinions, hopefully the facts out weighed the opinions.
In closing, Yes I do ask if the person smokes and if he/she is the original owner. If not, did the guy/gal he got the radio from smoke!

N8PQB
KF4UJA
Location: Snowflake, in SW VA, halfway between Gate City & Nicklesville, VA

Post by KF4UJA »

I agree with both the pros and the cons!!!!! I truly appreciate your having taken your time and effort to reply to this issue. It's an issue with some and not an issue with others!!!! Again, I thank you so very much for your INPUT!!!
Jerry
KF4UJA :D
God's Abundant Blessings on all of you, and 73