Where is the Swap Shop?

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
n4dsp

Where is the Swap Shop?

Post by n4dsp » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:28 am

I have a telescope which I would like to swap someone for an amateur radio transceiver but cannot find the area. Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

john-n4dsp

N6ATF

Post by N6ATF » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:00 pm

No idea what you're asking for.

Do you mean floridaswapshop.com ?

If so, the direction is South.
This person is no longer a member of chat.qth.com

n4dsp

Post by n4dsp » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:37 pm

N6ATF wrote:No idea what you're asking for.

Do you mean floridaswapshop.com ?

If so, the direction is South.
Thanks for the reply. At the top of the page it says "QTH.COM Swap Chat" so I am asking where the swap chat is. I do not have anything for sale but would be interested in a barter or swap type deal. Perhaps it should not be called that but "QTH.COM Sale Chat/" Technically this is not a swap area. So I guess there is no area strickly on this site for swap.
Thanks.

john

N6ATF

Post by N6ATF » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:44 pm

As I understand it, any sales, want to buys, or want to trades, should be posted as ads on http://swap.qth.com and not in this forum.
This person is no longer a member of chat.qth.com

N8PQB

Swap Shop

Post by N8PQB » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:00 am

Maybe no wants to trade a radio for a telescope. The "swap" arrangements are strictly between the two parties involved. However, first you have to have something someone else wants.

K9XR

Re: Swap Shop

Post by K9XR » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:06 pm

N8PQB wrote:Maybe no wants to trade a radio for a telescope. The "swap" arrangements are strictly between the two parties involved. However, first you have to have something someone else wants.
Yes, like an 11 meter radio, a Crock Stick knife sharpener, a radar detector, a Palm PDA, and a SWITCHBLADE knife. Right Tom?

N8PQB

Swap Arrangements

Post by N8PQB » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:42 am

Yep, just like that. I couldn't begin to list all the things I have been offered over the past 20 years.
My previous entry says it all....

The "swap" arrangements are strictly between the two parties involved. However, first you have to have something someone else wants.

You just never know what someone may have a need for. That's where all the fun in swapping comes from.

Not everyone likes or is experienced in the swapping game. I happen to enjoy it.

N8PQB

N8PQB

Swapping

Post by N8PQB » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:26 pm

To K9XR

I forgot to mention, there is a web site that accepts darn near anything listed in a ad. It is primarily for swapping, although there has been a scat few items that actually were sold. The site is by invitation only. We attempt to keep our members above board on the honesty factor.

Tom, N8PQB

K9XR

Re: Swap Arrangements

Post by K9XR » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:20 pm

N8PQB wrote:Yep, just like that. I couldn't begin to list all the things I have been offered over the past 20 years.
My previous entry says it all....

The "swap" arrangements are strictly between the two parties involved. However, first you have to have something someone else wants.

You just never know what someone may have a need for. That's where all the fun in swapping comes from.

Not everyone likes or is experienced in the swapping game. I happen to enjoy it.

N8PQB
I'm sorry Tom. I would have sworn in another post you were complaining about non ham radio related items being listed by others and that is what I was really referring to. There nothing wrong with swapping if that's what you want to do, but this is an Amateur Radio board. Right Tom?

N8PQB

Swapping

Post by N8PQB » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:49 am

Al, your right!
This is an amateur radio board, and I agree it should be limited to amateur items when posting an ad.
What I am referring to, and not doing a very good job of making it clear, is.....
An ad is posted that has the tag line, sale or trade for ?????.
So you email the guy and say, ok, what are you looking for? He answers, whatcha got? At this point I assume he is ready to look at anything and everything!! I have yet to offer my wife, but I will admit over the past 40 years of marriage, the temptation has been there, HI hI .
Over the past 20+ years of internet swapping I have more than once run into someone that has been searching for years for a particular "do-dad". It just happens to be on your list of "do-dad's". He's excited to find it, your thrilled to finally move that old thingy from your house to his.
Bottom line???
Both parties go away happy with their new Non-Ham toys.
I just don't find a problem with this type of transaction on a "strictly amateur board".
One of the rules on the other web site I mentioned earlier is, no cash prices can be listed in the ad. What information exchanges hands in private emails is no one's business but the parties involved, but prices cannot be listed.

Al, we must remember always, this is supposed to be fun. Flaming some poor guy because he makes a mistake should not be part of the equation.

One of my pet peeves is when a seller/trader "entertains a trade offer", then you send him one, and he doesn't have the courtesy to respond with a "no thank you" if he is not interested. Instead he just ignores your offer. That type of guy gets added to a special list.

nuff said,
There is room for all of us

Tom, N8PQB