delete

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
N8PQB

delete

Post by N8PQB »

delete
Last edited by N8PQB on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

Manuals shouldn't be a problem. I try to keep a file with all manuals, IB's, guarantees, etc. in one place.

Boxes are another problem. While you can always flatten a box, what do you do with those inserts? You can't flatten them and they DO take up room, an awful lot!

The only packing I really save are the extra-heavy MIL-spec double cardboard boxes with f.i.p. inserts.

Jerry

N9LCD
NR9R

Post by NR9R »

I don't think having the original box should necessarily communicate anything because there are various reasons why they may not have it. I imagine some people just get sick of having them around.

In general, however, I have mixed feelings about whether it is a selling point to advertise that an item will ship in the original box. This is not a good thing when it is a 15 year old radio. I have received a few heavy transceivers shipped in the "original box" with five shipping labels on it and crumbling foam inserts.

Also, the last new transceivers I purchased came in shipping cartons that I don't regard as high quality. The (my) IC-756PROIII comes with the back of the transceiver placed towards the bottom of the shipping box with no packaging between the inside and outside boxes. Mine came with the plastic molex plugs broken off. I don't trust the TS-480SAT box either. If you shake the box the main body moves about an inch in every direction. When I had to ship mine I added bubble wrap to everything (something I would advise to anyone buying this radio).
w9dp

Boxes are a bonus

Post by w9dp »

If you get an original box, it is a bonus and quite often a selling point for some equipment. If the original box was used without being properly packed inside of another box, it is probably trash any how. I, for one, have very little space to keep the boxes for the stuff I have and I sure will not pass up a deal just because it does not include the original packing. I buy equipment to use it, not collect it or buy it to resell for a profit. On the other hand, I do like the idea of getting the original boxes in excellent condition. That usually indicates the equipment that goes with the box was probably well taken care of as well, but again, no guarantees.

Danny NG9R
KE5LYY

Original Box

Post by KE5LYY »

Some people do not have large amounts of living and storage space and simply cannot afford the space to keep the original box to everything they have ever owned. Especially, radio equipment. I have probably 60 different radios sittign here right now and the only one I have the orginal box for is a FT-8800R and that is simply because I have not installed the radio yet. And may never install it. This might be posted for sale with the original box.

I don;t hold it against buyers if they no longer have the orginal box. Occasionally the manuals to things get lost as well.

Just my 2 cents
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

I find that once I file away the manual, I so rarely delve into my files that I forget it when I sell the thing later on. Keep the box if you can, and definitely keep any unused accessories and the manual with the box.
This person is no longer a member of chat.qth.com
kc6vlg

What's with the box?

Post by kc6vlg »

And then there are guys out there who are selling the empty boxes. Some even listed here on QTH. Now what's up with that? :roll: Yeah..... I want the radio so bad that I'm willing to buy the empty box. What about guys who love their gears so much that they feel incomplete without the box :roll: .... I guess?
w2rdt

Re: What's with the box?

Post by w2rdt »

kc6vlg wrote:And then there are guys out there who are selling the empty boxes. Some even listed here on QTH. Now what's up with that? :roll: Yeah..... I want the radio so bad that I'm willing to buy the empty box. What about guys who love their gears so much that they feel incomplete without the box :roll: .... I guess?
My 2 cents==boxes to a collector can add $$ to a collectable unit.
this is not a joke to true colletors, it is a sign of very
sophistcated collecting.
to ridicule this is unfair and un-needed.
russ==KC2RKO