Callsign lookup

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
N6ATF

Callsign lookup

Post by N6ATF »

Please make the callsign lookup access the FCC ULS database, the only database of U.S. amateur callsigns that can be trusted.

QRZ.com does NOT list all U.S. amateur callsigns because some hams, including me, have opted-out of their database for this, and other reasons: it is a private site which has a pecuniary interest in getting people to search for callsigns there and click on ads.

From QRZ.com's "About" page:

"QRZ remains a small business that is run by Fred and is housed in a spare room of his home."

QRZ.com is not a non-profit and does not claim to be.
This person is no longer a member of chat.qth.com
K2DC

Post by K2DC »

John,

I'm not really following your gripe here. Yes, QRZ.com does not list all US Amateur calls. Some like yourself have opted out for various personal reasons, and others have been involuntarily opted out for abuse of the site among other reasons. Yes, they have a pecuniary interest in those who search the database and THEN click on the ads. It costs you nothing to search the database, and offers a free direct link to the ULS database, if you don't believe their own listing.
The FCC ULS database may be the last word for information on US call signs. However, it does not provide any help with QSL information for non-US calls (although as a Technician Class licensee, you may care about that).
If your problem is that QRZ.com is not non-profit, then why are you using QTH.com? It is also a small business with a pecuniary in those who use their free services and THEN click on the ads. QTH.com and QRZ.com both provide a number of free and generally reliable services that I, among many other Hams find invaluable.
Help me out a little here, because I don't understand what the problem is.

Post by N6ATF »

Look up my call via eHam.net or click on QTH's callsign search- http://www.qth.com/callsign.php?cs=N6ATF

Now tell me, would the average person believe that I don't have a callsign based on those results?
K2DC

Post by K2DC »

John,

Your call does not appear on eHam.net or QTH.com because they both use the QRZ.com database, from which you opted out. K1MAN was banned from QRZ.com for a time, but his call now appears on all three sites. If you look me up on QTH.com you will see a picture of my wife and myself that has never been posted directly anywhere but QRZ.com. If you look me up on eHam.net, you will see my bio which has never been posted anywhere but QRZ.com.

Your call also does not appear on hamcall.net. The listing says: "Information regarding N6ATF withheld by request, or due to current conflict of data sources". They may not be able to correlate the ULS database with QRZ.com. They're all drinking from the same well.

Post by N6ATF »

You know what? If you refuse to answer simple yes/no questions then I will refuse to debate further with an unwilling opponent. Goodbye.
K2DC

Post by K2DC »

The answer is yes, a normal person might easily believe that you have no call, but that is apparently your own doing.

Oh and by the way, you haven't put up an argument yet, and I am the unwilling debate opponent ? Maybe I need to go back and reread Robert's Rules because I don't remember any requirements for direct, let alone single word answers.

Goodbye

My photo I listed in my bio, shows up here

Post by K2HAT »

I put a Bio, under my call sign, at QRZ,
and, lol, if you look up my call sign, here at QTH;
the photo shows up, of me leaning on my car.

K2HAT
Lee
K2HAT effective April 27, 2007
KC2RDG former call sign.

I live near Albany, NY USA :)
K2HAT

Re: Callsign lookup

Post by K2HAT »

N6ATF wrote:Please make the callsign lookup access the FCC ULS database, the only database of U.S. amateur callsigns that can be trusted.

QRZ.com does NOT list all U.S. amateur callsigns because some hams, including me, have opted-out of their database for this, and other reasons: it is a private site which has a pecuniary interest in getting people to search for callsigns there and click on ads.

From QRZ.com's "About" page:

"QRZ remains a small business that is run by Fred and is housed in a spare room of his home."

QRZ.com is not a non-profit and does not claim to be.
??

N6ATF

Jonathan S Roe

3521 Adams Ave.

San Diego, CA 92116

USA

Lookups: 1221 Ham Member

Biography
Detail
Notes
Logbook

I have requested multiple times that my information not be shown on QRZ.com, with only a link to the ULS. Yet after it initially appears to be honored, I come back to find my information being displayed again.

Hmm. I guess he doesn't know that they have an automatic update
tied into the FCC Database.
K2HAT effective April 27, 2007
KC2RDG former call sign.

I live near Albany, NY USA :)